Glasgow 2014: Lynsey Sharp dedicates 800m silver to parents

Lynsey Sharp shows off her silver medal. Pic: Ian Rutherford
Lynsey Sharp shows off her silver medal. Pic: Ian Rutherford
Have your say

An emotional Lynsey Sharp today dedicated her 800 metres Commonwealth Games silver medal to her mother Carol and father Cameron.

The Capital athlete, who had ankle surgery in April, stormed from off the pace to finish second at Hampden Park to cap off an injury-ridden eight months with glory – and she immediately paid tribute to her parents, especially her father, a former Games gold medal winner himself in 1978 who still suffers after sustaining serious head injuries in a road accident.

The 24-year-old revealed that former Olympic and Commonwealth champion Allan Wells had previously visited her at the Village and said: “He presented me with signed pictures of him and my Dad.

“My Dad made me strive for this and my Mum fought for my Dad. This [today’s win] is above everything else.”

Napier University graduate Sharp, who was in hospital on the morning of the race suffering from dehydration and a severe sickness bout, added: “It doesn’t feel real – the past year has been a nightmare for me with injuries and illness. But it just came down to having a shot at it and I made it onto the podium for a silver medal.”

Sharp had written “get out strong commit” on her hand as words of motivation and she did just that to follow Kenya’s Eunice Sum into second.

Earlier, Capital middle-distance star Chris O’Hare automatically qualified for today’s 1500m final in fourth place in the first of the two heats and admitted that a “fun” approach was helping him get back to his best.

“Today I’m having fun – I didn’t have nearly enough fun at the Diamond League,” he said.

O’Hare, who shares a strong Christian faith with the New Zealander and former Games medallist Nick Willis, was content to use Willis as his pace guide and was just behind Willis and another Kiwi Zane Robertson at the bell in a tightly bunched field.

With the pace picking up, he held his form and place with Willis winning in 3:40.76 from Jeff Risely (Australia) and James Magut (Kenya) both timed at 3:40.79 and O’Hare only .01 behind.

“I knew after the first lap of 61 seconds that it was going to be a hell of a burn-up over the last 600 metres and I moved to the middle of the lane to track Willis as he’s good and knows a lot – he was good to copy today.

“I didn’t start thinking about the race till yesterday, and I’m going to have fun in the final,” added the 23-year-old Peebles High former pupil.

By contrast, his Edinburgh AC club-mate Jake Wightman was ruing his bad luck at having picked up a hamstring injury just before the Games.

“I ran a stupid race, but that’s my worst ever preparation,” said the 20-year-old Fettesian, whose father and coach Geoff was the stadium announcer.

“The physios did a great job and I thought it was OK, but felt it with 600 to go.

After Scotland’s women 4x400 metres relay team – without 400 metres hurdles silver medallist Eilidh Child – missed out on a final place by a mere .2 sec, Scotland’s men made amends with a storming run to qualify in a new Scottish record.

Their time of 3:03.94 beat the mark set by a Scotland team, including renowned names Tom McKean, Brian Whittle and David Strang in the Auckland Games in 1990 when they took the silver medal.

Kris Robertson, Jamie Bowie, Greg Louden (Lasswade) and Grant Plenderleith came in third in their heat to capture a fastest loser spot.

There was disappointment however in the women’s high jump when Capital favourite Jayne Nisbet could not repeat her form of the qualifying and went out at the relatively modest height of 1.82m, failing at 1.86m to finish 10th equal.