Basketball: Boroughmuir Blaze stay in title hunt

Have your say

Boroughmuir Blaze kept the pressure on at the top of the men’s Scottish Basketball League with a 79-58 win over Glasgow Storm.

It was Blaze’s third successive win and keeps them in touch with joint leaders Falkirk Fury, the only team to have beaten them this season, and St Mirren.

Blaze currently sit fourth in the table but have a match in hand over the three teams above them. Edinburgh Kings sit third after beating Glasgow Rocks 87-45.

Edinburgh University lost 72-60 at the Mariner Centre to Falkirk Fury. The students had the champions worried as they sprang to a 19-11 lead at the end of the first quarter and went on to build up a 14-point lead later in the half.

But Fury came back in the second half as Edinburgh hit foul trouble, something that is frustrating head coach Danny Costello.

He believes his players are not being given fair treatment by referees and his young team have slipped to eighth in the table.

“I had to take two key players off because of foul trouble and our less experienced bench didn’t cope as well and we lost our rhythm,” he said.

Point guard Davy Rowan was top scorer for the students with 16 points, Chris Evans notched ten and Ben Worthington and Andreas Pantziaros seven each.

Scott Russell led the way for Fury with 19 points and brothers Jonny and Keith Bunyan scored 18 and 16 respectively.

In the women’s league, St Mirren moved a point clear at the top after beating Polonia Phoenix 63-48 at Holyrood High School yesterday.

Kool Kats opened their season with a 75-53 win over Edinburgh University.

The students started well, but Kool Kats stepped it up in the second quarter and also made a strong start to the second half. It was enough to swing the match in their favour.

“In the second quarter, we stopped executing on offence and were often a step too late in defence,” said coach Bart Sengers.

“The Kats started to put on pressure and we couldn’t handle it. Too many turnovers, bad transition defence and disconnected offence caused us to let the Kats take a comfortable cushion into half-time, 33-21.

“In the second half, we were not able to turn things around.”

Guard Beth Mackie was top scorer for the students and Sheila Dixon scored 18.