Basketball: Trio progress but Kings fall short

Have your say

Boroughmuir Blaze, Edinburgh University men and Edinburgh Kool Kats women reached the next stage of the Scottish Cup at the weekend – and for a time it looked like Edinburgh Kings might join them.

However, in the end Kings went down 64-54 to last year’s beaten finalists St Mirren in an exciting match at Portobello High.

“I thought we were going to do it,” said Kings coach Doug Reilly, who was assisted by a late addition to his team in the shape of the 6ft 11in former North Berwick High, Kings junior and Scotland centre Ali Mackay.

“It’s great to be back – I can’t believe it’s six years since I played for the club,” said Davidson College (USA) graduate Mackay, who has been released from his pro contract with an Italian club in Rome and has no immediate plans.

Down 25-21 at half-time after drawing the first quarter 10-10 , Kings slipped to 58-45 down in the fourth before a 9-0 run put them just four points down with two minutes left.

But, despite Mackay’s strong rebounding and interior defence, the hosts could not quite close the gap and Saints pulled away again and will now host Blaze in the next round.

Craig Reilly scored 21 points, including four three-pointers, while Garreth Lodge notched ten, Paddy Campbell eight and Mackay seven.

Blaze, meanwhile, were 86-71 winners over Tayside Musketeers at the Crags. Eoghan Dover led the scoring with 33 points, including a remarkable nine three-pointers, Tomas Cicenas adding 22 points.

Edinburgh University were also untroubled by Ayrshire Tornadoes at Stewarton, winning 80-39.

Ron Adrian led the scoring with 23 points, including five threes, Davy Rowan had four triples in his 19-points, brother Neil two threes and Jac St John 13 points.

EU women played a league game on Saturday, beating South Lanarkshire Colliers 73-30 at East Kilbride.

Edinburgh Kool Kats were never troubled in their home cup-tie with Granite City Grizzlies on Saturday, winning 79-45 at Portobello High, but the Scottish League champions went down to their first defeat the following day when they lost away to Glasgow Rocks 71-64 at Cumbernauld.