Kool Kats into final but indiscipline costs Kings

Rose Anderson. Picture: JANE BARLOW
Rose Anderson. Picture: JANE BARLOW
Have your say

Falkirk Fury will face St Mirren, and Edinburgh Kool Kats will play Glasgow Rocks in the Scottish Basketball Cup finals at the Lagoon Sports Centre, Paisley in February.

Boroughmuir Blaze junior men and Edinburgh Kings cadets also won through to their finals with convincing victories.

But Kings men were desperately disappointing in their senior semi-final against St Mirren, going down 77-66 at the Lagoon SC.

Holders Kool Kats had to fight all the way to go through, beating Tayside Musketeers 73-67 in a repeat of last year’s final in Arbroath yesterday, while the Lady Rocks came from behind to defeat Falkirk Fury 63-32 at the Mariner.

Kats led 24-13 after the first quarter but Muskies fought back to draw level despite being without two of their starting five players.

The hosts actually led 63-62 in the last quarter and with two minutes left it was 67-67.

“I’m totally gutted - I thought we deserved it,” said home captain Laura Hare.

“It was too close - we let them back into it,” confessed Kats coach Ben Gunn who is also Scotland senior women’s coach for next year’s European C Tournament in Austria and must have been impressed with Yanna Van Wees for the home team who scored 23 points, Cara Black adding 16 and Paula Schweikert 12.

Hannah Peacock top-scored for Kats with 19 points, closely supported by Rose Anderson with 18 and Lauren Walker with 13.

Meanwhile, former GB junior cap Marie Buchan was back in action for Fury in their home tie with the Rocks whom they led 33-29 at half-time.

Buchan, who had not played for several months, struggled to find her shooting touch and only managed to score three points, all from the free-throw line, and Fury lost their way in the third quarter.

Fury men, however, beat Glasgow Rocks 65-37 at Langside College, Glasgow and must now have a strong chance of a cup and league double.

Kings coach Doug Reilly summed up in one word why his side lost their hold on the Cup against Saints: “indiscipline” and certainly four “technical fouls”, three in the first quarter, did not help the cause.

Yet with Saints making a dreadful start with normal hotshot Nic Collins missing from everywhere, Kings led 8-2 and 18-17 after the first quarter.

A Chris Cleary tip-in gave Saints a 34-28 half-time lead and soon after they went 40-28 up.

A flurry of shots from Craig Reilly helped Kings close the gap to 43-44, but the home lead was soon back to double figures and was 14 with five minutes left.

Just when all seemed lost, three baskets in a row from Simon Flockhart brought the gap back to six and Saints were wobbling.

But Colin Railley came on to seal a home victory by scoring the last seven points.

Top scorers for Saints were Nic Collins with 21, Fraser Glass 15, and Chris Cleary 12, while Simon Flockhart had 16 and Craig Reilly 15 for Kings.

“It was a much improved team performance from us,” said Saints coach Stuart Glass. “We showed much more composure than we did last week against Falkirk.”

Kings cadets beat Boroughmuir Blaze 77-52 at Portobello helped by 27 points from Konrad Kantorski, 19 from Captain Kyle Jimenez and 10 from Alex Ferguson