Jackson wins marathon in Tait Trophy

Have your say

Parkside champion Danny Jackson was slow off the mark in last night’ s second round of the Edinburgh & Leith Tait Trophy but handled the pressure well to score a 21-18 victory over David Fisher of Colinton.

In the marathon 28-end battle at Slateford, Fisher made a strong start to lead 7-1, but the recent star of E&L’s great Hamilton Trophy triumph soon found he had a game on his hands as Jackson burst on to the scene with a run of 2, 1, 1, 2 to peel at 7.

Peels were called again at 8, 9 and 11 before 29-year old Jackson got his head in front for the first time at 12-11. However, that was short-lived with Fisher carding successive doubles to regain the upper hand at 15-12.

But the ding-dong battle between the two former District champions – Fisher in 2003 and Jackson in 2008 – raged on with Jackson back in front at 16-15 before deadlock was again reached at 17 and 18.

Fisher burned two heads on the trot in that period, suggesting Jackson was winning the battle for supremacy and the former star of the now defunct Edinburgh Club preeled off a hat-trick of singles to hit 21.

Meanwhile, two legends of the Tait – five times winners Robert Marshall and David McGill – experienced mixed fortunes.

Holder Marshall of Slateford showed typical touches of his magic skills to score a 21-9 win in 20 ends over Frank Gordon of Merchiston, having made telling space from 8-5 to 16-7 then clinching victory with two singles from 19-9.

Last year’s finalist McGill, of Braid, is less sharp than in his halcyon days of the 1970s and ’80s, but the veteran gave a good account of himself to lead Ross McGuire of Whitehouse and Grange 13-12 at Tanfield.

McGuire turned up the heat with a run of four singles to 16 then answered the loss of a double with a big 3, 2 finish to score a 21-15 victory.

Summerside champion Jim Currie enjoyed an impressive 21-12 win over Graham Pringle of Carrick Knowe in 22 ends at Northern.

Stuart McKean – the first-time champion of Tanfield – was locked in a tough 11-9 battle with Gordon Plenderleith of Lutton Place at Carrick Knowe before making a strong break to 20-11, but he had to answer danger at 20-15 with a last bowl trail to win in 22-ends.

Mark Church carried the West End banner through to the quarter-finals with a hard fought 21-18 win over George McNab of Dean in 21 ends at Craigentinny while Scott Mackintosh of London Road Foundry – twice a Tait finalist and 14 times club champion – walked over at Sighthill.

Play in the Tait continues on Friday night with all four games being played at Mayfield.