Boxing: Trio return east with spoils after triumphs in Glasgow

Edinburgh's Stephen Simmons on his way to victory over Tayar Mehmed in Glasgow on Saturday
Edinburgh's Stephen Simmons on his way to victory over Tayar Mehmed in Glasgow on Saturday
Share this article
Have your say

It proved to be a hugely successful weekend for Edinburgh boxers Gary McMillan, Stephen Simmons and John Thain, who all returned east with victories under their belts.

The trio were all in action in Glasgow with Gary McMillan first to emerge triumphant after his 60-53 light middleweight victory over Latvian opponent Andrejs Loginovs at the 
Marriot Hotel on Friday night.

The 25-year-old said: “He put up a decent fight in the first round but in the second round I hit him with a left hook, and from that moment on he held on to me every time he could. It was a comfortable win so I was quite happy with my performance. It was probably one of my best so far.”

On Saturday evening, prior to Ricky Burns’ conquest of Kevin Mitchell in the WBO’s World Lightweight title fight, Stephen Simmons defeated Bulgarian Tayar Mehmed 
60-54 in his cruiserweight 
contest, although it wasn’t the figure he expected to see before him when he stepped into the ring at the SECC.

Simmons, 28, said: “I only found out at the weigh-in that my other opponent (Courtney Owen) had pulled out so it was a late replacement. But I knew what I had to do, I always felt in control and I’ve still not lost a round in my professional 
career so I’m really pleased. The atmosphere in there was 
electric so it was unbelievable and a great night. I’m hoping to get another two fights before the end of the year so will get back into training.”

John Thain completed a 
hat-trick of victories when he was declared the winner by 60-55 in his light middleweight bout with Englishman Lee Noble. Despite the victory, the 24-year-old admitted he struggled with significant discomfort throughout the six rounds in both his hands, but fought through the pain barrier to claim the win.

Thain said: “I had to dig deep after the first couple of rounds as both my hands were sore and were swollen at the end of the fight. There were opportunities to throw punches but I couldn’t because of my hands so I had to keep my composure. I really wanted the victory for myself but also for the people at 
Lochend Boxing Club who have helped out so much behind the scenes.”