Boxer Josh Taylor has hailed Cyclone promoter Barry McGuigan for delivering exactly what he promised when the duo met to discuss professional terms last year.
The 2014 Commonwealth Games gold medallist’s signature was one of boxing’s most-sought after when he announced he would be stepping up from the amateurs on the back of his triumph in Glasgow – the Prestonpans star revealing he wasn’t short of potential suitors.
However, the 25-year-old admits he was drawn in by former WBA featherweight champion McGuigan’s pledge to afford him the chance to box on some of the sport’s biggest bills.
Taylor’s last victory in February was on the undercard of stable-mate and current IBF world super bantamweight champion Carl Frampton’s points win over Scott Quigg in Manchester.
The lightweight returns to the ring tomorrow night chasing his fifth pro-victory at Cardiff’s Ice Arena where he meets Spain’s Reynaldo Mora on another mouthwatering show as Lee Haskins looks to hold on to his IBF world bantamweight title against Ivan Morales.
“This is only my fifth pro fight and it will be my third world-title bill. I’m boxing on great shows so I couldn’t be any happier,” Taylor told the Evening News. “Barry is doing exactly what he promised when we were in negotiations. He’s putting me on big shows and keeping me busy. I’m really happy and don’t think I could have chosen a better promoter. I’m so grateful for what he’s done for me so far and I’m really lucky to be in the position I’m in.”
Taylor revealed the big shows are set to continue with an agreement almost in place that will see the Edinburgh fighter appear on top-of-the-bill Ricky Burns’ show at the SSE Hydro two weeks tomorrow.
However, Taylor’s biggest test awaits him across the Atlantic in July with a bout scheduled at the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn, New York.
“I’m looking to do another job tomorrow night and keep my winning run going. But I’ll be straight back into the gym on Monday because there’s a big possibility I’m going to be on the Ricky Burns show at the end of the month,” he said.
“Everything’s been pretty much agreed so we’re just waiting on Eddie Hearn getting it past the finishing line. I think that it’s going to be a ten-rounder and possibly an international title fight, but we’ll need to see what happens.
“I’m fit enough to do ten rounds as I’m sparring nine and ten rounds in the gym anyway. I’ll then be on Carl’s [Frampton] bill in New York in July so to go and fight in the Big Apple will be amazing.
I wish I was fighting in New York next week – I just can’t wait. I think the plan is to go out at the beginning of July and make use of the American gyms and get some really good sparring under my belt, soak up the atmosphere and what have you. I’ll maybe stay out for a week’s holiday after as well.”