Lewis Bension wins fourth Scottish title in 100th bout

Lewis Benson
Lewis Benson
Have your say

Boxer Lewis Benson took his fourth Scottish title on Saturday as he defeated Capital rival Jason Easton at Ravenscraig Sports Complex.

The 23-year-old, spurred on by his opponent’s pre-fight comments, was at ease in the first two rounds before Easton fought his way back into the 64kg contest in the final three minutes. Benson of Lochend, won by a split decision.

This was the second time the duo have met one another in the final in the last three seasons, Benson taking the honours at Meadowbank two years ago by 16-14.

Easton, however, had accused the Commonwealth Games star of using a “tippy-tappy” jab during that particular bout, a remark Benson didn’t appreciate. “It’s finally great to have put Jason to bed,” Benson stressed. “I’ve beat him the last three times and his comments before really fired me up. Losing was never an option but it was a tough fight. I boxed perfectly the first two rounds. I did tire a bit in the final round, but I knew it was over.

“It’s great to win on my 100th amateur fight. I knew it was going to be against Jason as well so you could say it was written in the stars.

“It was a great night for the gym so I’m ecstatic. Lochend had a lot of supporters through so the place was rocking. I’m now going to the British Championships in May and will be the first Scottish boxer looking to defend that title.”

It proved a successful evening for Lochend with Matty McHale becoming the new 52kg champion after overcoming Hayfield’s Jack Turner, Stephen Tiffney won his 60kg final against Josh Sanford of the Barn and Tommy Philbin (91kg) also took the title ahead of Bravehearts’ Connal McDonald. However, there was disappointment for Johanna Ryan who lost to Emma McCulloch of Glenrothes in the 48kg bout.

Meadowbank’s Ryan McCutcheon missed out on 56kg gold at the expense of Dennistoun McNair’s Stephen Boyle and Livingston’s Adam Saleta (+91kg) lost to Kincorth’s John Winters. Elaine Greenan (64kg), also of Livingston Boxing Club, beat Cherie McDonald from Inverness.