Cricket: Carlton get revenge on Grange

Fraser Watts was in devastating form for Carlton. Pic: Malcolm McCurrach.
Fraser Watts was in devastating form for Carlton. Pic: Malcolm McCurrach.
Have your say

Carlton’s bowlers and fielders held their nerve as the gloom descended around Grange Loan on Saturday night to secure a CSL Eastern Premier Division win over Mazars Grange and gain revenge for recent losses against the same opponents.

At the end of last season Carlton lost the Scottish Cup final to their Capital rivals in Stirling, while earlier this term they had lost to them convincingly in the league.

Just a few weeks ago Grange also came out on top in the Murgitroyd Masterton Trophy final, so in a match punctuated by rain delays, Carlton were delighted to claim victory via the D/L method.

Batting first after winning the toss, the home side lost Hamish Gardiner for six early on after being caught by Grange skipper Neil McCallum off the bowling of Raj Routray.

The same bowler then dismissed Ali Evans LBW for 12 before Fraser Watts and young Ruari Macpherson came together.

They put on a useful partnership of 70 before the latter was out for 37, stumped off the bowling of spinner Andrew Brock. Watts was looking in brilliant form though and he reached his half century as Carlton then headed over the 150 mark with a good basis for their innings.

Fraser Boyd (19) and captain Gordon Drummond (20) made useful contributions to support Watts and the former Scotland man sailed past the 100 mark.

After their 50 overs Carlton finished on a good total of 233-7, Watts making 120 not out while Routray was the pick of the Grange attack with 5-52.

As with last week’s Scottish Cup semi in East Kilbride, Ryan Flannigan fell early in Grange’s reply, but George Munsey and McCallum steadied the ship.

The rain then came and after a couple of delays and discussions between the umpires and scorers the revised target for Grange was an imposing looking 181 from 31 overs.

Munsey and Tom Faulds fell to Drummond and then at 90-3 and with seven balls needed to be bowled to constitute a match the players went off again.

That called for another revised target and Grange needed 123 off 23 overs in total, so 40 off the remaining 26 balls in the drizzle.

Gardiner and Boyd then good catches to get rid of Goudie (29) and McCallum (37) and Macpherson got in on the act, showing good hands to catch Will Edwards.

All of that meant 14 was needed off the final over bowled by Evans and once Brock was run out it was an almost impossible task. Evans held his nerve as Carlton won by seven runs.

There was late drama at Goldenacre too, Heriot’s just losing out to Stoneywood-Dyce.

The visitors had made 251-9 batting first with South African Uli Jooste taking 2-41 for Heriot’s. After rain Heriot’s revised target was 184 in 32 overs and they almost made it thanks to Steve Knox’s heroic 104. They lost out by two runs though, finishing on 182-5.

There was a third century in the top flight in the Capital, but it was Aberdeenshire’s Hayes Van Der Berg who scored it as his 109 saw them to a win over SMRH at Inverleith.

Three wickets apiece from Paddy Sadler, captain Ewan Chalmers and Brendan O’Connell set up Watsonians for a rain affected win at Falkland as they bowled out the home side for 119.