Amateur football: Harps start with win | Salvie's stunning fightback

Lothian West outfit Edinburgh Harps got their campaign off to a winning start with a 2-1 victory away to Bank of Scotland Strollers '“ their first-ever three points on the opening-day of a new LEAFA season.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 14th August 2018, 6:30 am
Edinburgh Harps
Edinburgh Harps

Harps were dominant in the opening period as the penned the hosts inside the own half. They got their reward ahead of the interval when Jonny Cosgrave netted from close range after the Strollers defence has failed to clear after numerous attempts.

The visitors continued to pile forward after the break as they sought a killer second to make the three points secure. Summer signing Scot Llynas secured a debut assist after a surging run from his midfield berth opened up space for Colm McGurk, who found the top corner with a terrific finish from the edge of the area.

Strollers pulled one back with a great strike of their own, but the bankers were denied a share of the spoils with goalkeeper Ross Burns in top from.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Newly-promoted Championship club Meadowbank grabbed their first win of the season with a 2-1 victory over Fauldhouse AFC.

Two depleted squads faced up to each other with both sides without several key players due to suspensions carried over from last season. Meadowbank started the better of the two, but it was the visitors Fauldhouse who grabbed the opener after an error in the home defence.

A brave Ross Stenhouse header hauled the hosts level soon after, however, the striker given a boot in his face for his troubles as he dived in low to meet Arran Gosman’s cross.

Last season’s Lothian East runners-up didn’t have to wait long to secure what proved to be the winner courtesy of Euan Bell’s strike.

Salvesen secured a point after a stunning second half turnaround, coming behind from four goals down at half-time to draw 4-4 with Tollcross Thistle.

Tollcross were untouchable in the opening period with midfield star Stewart O’Neill netting an incredible 12-minute hat-trick.

Sam Thompson had the 
visitors cruising before the break, but a tough half-time team talk saw Salvie rally after the break.

Craig Dickson kicked off the comeback when he headed in from outside the area on 65 minutes. A deflected effort made it 4-2, before a Michael Yuill strike against his former club reduced the deficit to just one. Jak Townsley got the equaliser eight minutes from time when he met a cross from the right with a diving header.