Amateur round-up: Magnificent Tranent hit seven despite call-offs / Meadowbank go fourth

It took just seven minutes for Tranent to break the deadlock...

Monday, 16th December 2019, 3:51 pm
Updated Monday, 16th December 2019, 3:58 pm

Tranent made sure of their progress to the third round of the South of Scotland Cup with just 12 available players after a 7-0 home defeat of Lauder AFC.

The East Lothian men were without a host of players due to a mixture of injuries, work commitments and some away for the weekend, but still had enough about them to secure a comfortable victory.

It took just seven minutes for Tranent to break the deadlock when Ryan Colgan found the net after a fine team passing move.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The hosts were far from their best, but found the net for a second time with Colgan getting himself on the scoresheet once again before the interval.

Tranent’s boss Bryd Fairgrieve was clear in his message at half-time that their performance in the opening half hadn’t been good enough, and this led to his side upping it in the second half.

Ross Fergusson would make it three, before Colgan secured his hat-trick after a terrific run through the centre of the park ended with him dinking the ball over the visiting goalkeeper.

Colgan then got his fourth and Tranent’s fifth, with goal number six quickly arriving through the returning Craig Wojtowycz.

Robbie Watson missed a penalty after he was brought down, but he made amends five minutes later after a great run and finish high into the net.

Meadowbank jumped above Edinburgh South Vics into fourth in the Premier Division table after a 4-2 victory.

Both sides were missing players ahead of the three week winter shutdown and it was the visitors who took the lead after ten minutes.

David Gallacher and Ross Stenhouse combined nicely together with a quick one-two to bring Meadowbank level on 20 minutes, and the home side were soon ahead after striker Stewart Adams spotted Vics’ goalkeeper off his line and sent the ball over his head and into the net from 30 yards out.

Meadowbank extended their lead further just before the break after Gallacher’s cross found Adams who headed across goal for Ross Grant to nod in from close range.

Stenhouse made it 4-1 when he tapped in Adams’ cross, with Vics getting the last goal of the game with a minute remaining.