Amateur wrap: Aird's screamer wins cup for Victoria Loco

Darren Aird's blistering 25-yard strike late on handed Victoria Loco Miller Cup final glory as they held off Blackridge Vale of Craig 2-1 at Ainslie Park.

Tuesday, 26th April 2016, 5:30 am
Victoria Loco lifted the Miller Cup thanks to Darren Airds last-gasp screamer. Pic: Chris Martin

Loco went ahead on 30 minutes when Robert Dunn’s free-kick fell to Omar Ali and his strike was turned in by James Spence from close range.

After taking the lead Loco didn’t let up, with Blackridge lucky to escape to the interval one down. Loco bombarded the opposition goal, but keeper Jack Morris pulled off a handful of smart stops to keep the scores unchanged.

A similar pattern of play continued in the second half, but on the hour mark Blackridge found a goal from out of nowhere. Liam Kane tried his luck with a 30-yard half volley that soared into net to make it 1-1.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Late on Aird won his side the silverware with a sublime long-range effort which made it 2-1.

• St Bernards came out on top in their McDonald Cup semi-final versus Redhall Star with an astonishing 9-8 penalty victory after the scores were locked at 4-4 after extra time.

Neither team found the net in the first 45 minutes, but when the second half got going Saints burst into a 2-0 lead. Ryan Pollock bundled a loose ball home from close range and then Steven Wilson steered in Darren Nicol’s ball into net.

Redhall the got two goals of their own in quick succession as Dan Carter grabbed a double.

Both sides could have won the game in 90 minutes but with the scores level extra time was necessary. Redhall went ahead for the first time thanks to Jamie Aitchison but Saints equalised through Steven Wilson’s tidy finish in the box.

Amazingly Redhall then went 4-3 up thanks to David Warnock, but with the last kick of the ball the never-say-die Saints scored through Ryan Raeburn’s composed finish in the box.

Penalties it was to be and eventually after both sides scored eight, Redhall’s Stuart Crozier put the ball over the bar, allowing ex-Redhall player Nicol to step up and bury the ball to make it 9-8 in the shootout.

• Dunedin Athletic took another step closer to survival as they saw off fellow relegation candidates Pathhead with a 3-1 win away at Callander Park.

Lyall Menzies produced a moment of quality as he whipped a free-kick around the Pathhead wall from 25 yards and into the bottom corner.

It was no more than Athletic deserved for their efforts and after working hard to keep their opponents pegged back, 
Menzies picked out the net again before the break as he finished off Colin Chalmers’ cross.

Pathhead looked rejuvenated after reflecting on their first-half display and they pulled a goal back with 55 minutes on the clock via Darren Irvine.

Athletic needed to up their game in response and they did, eventually grabbing a third goal through Cameron Waddell.