Amateur wrap: Sweet success for Sandys

Goals from Liam McCardle and Gordon Ramsay were the difference at Castleview as Sandys ran out comfortable 2-0 winners against a Fernieside team depleted by injuries and suspensions.

Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 5:30 am
Sandys clinched a 2-0 win thanks to goals from Liam McCardle and Gordon Ramsay at Castleview
Sandys clinched a 2-0 win thanks to goals from Liam McCardle and Gordon Ramsay at Castleview

Both sides created chances to score in an even opening 20 minutes. First Ramsay managed to win the ball deep in the Fernie half, however nobody was in the box to meet his cross. Then the visitors came close when Gavin Marshall’s audacious 35-yard drive half was tipped over by keeper Paul Clover.

The deadlock was eventually broken in the 24th minute when McCardle created space for himself at the left-hand edge of the box to turn and lash the ball home.

A brief spell of pressure from Fernie proved to be fruitless, while Sandys were repeatedly foiled by Scott Walker, who pulled off some superb reflex saves.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The hosts doubled the lead in the 52nd minute as Ramsay poked home from close range. Sandys went on to completely dictate pace and possession to see out the rest of the 90 
minutes at a canter.

• Danderhall Miners saw off Linlithgow in a five-goal thriller at Danderhall Recreation Park.

A late flurry of attack from the visitors was not enough to salvage a point as James 
Laing’s brace and Martin Hughes’ third proved to be enough for the home side.

The hosts, with four players out injured and five suspended, were more enterprising with possession of the ball in the first half, creating the majority of scoring opportunities.

Their early pressure yielded a goal when Laing broke the deadlock, meeting a beautiful Darren Flynn cross from the left wing to head the ball home. Linlithgow were quickly able to restore 
parity through Sean Smith.

Laing netted his brace after latching onto a long ball before Hughes added his name to the scoresheet as Danderhall looked to kill off the match as a contest. However, Linlithgow were by no means out of contention and they reduced the arrears through Andy Grimshaw with eight minutes remaining, but Danderhall were able to withstand their late pressure.

• It was a dream start to the season for Tollcross as they ran out comfortable 3-1 winners against Musselburgh at Saughton, with the visitors left ruing the loss of easy goals.

It took just six minutes for the home side to open the scoring as Stewart O’Neill’s free-kick was rifled in from 25 yards out. Despite the set-back, Musselburgh did set out to create some chances for themselves as forwards Ryan Cameron and Chris Stevenson linked up well to ask questions of Tollcross.

The visitors felt they were wrongfully denied a penalty on the half-hour mark when a handball shout was waved away by the referee.

Scott Millar’s brace in the second half put the hosts out of sight. He struck first in the 60th minute after Chris Reid hit in a low cross from the left wing. His second came eight minutes later when a flick on from a corner landed at his feet with his back to goal. He deftly turned with his right foot and hit it past the keeper with his left.

Stevenson grabbed an 
injury-time consolation for Musselburgh as they’ll look to improve ahead of their next match against Danderhall.