Amateurs: Bonnyrigg Sports Bar toast win

Bonnryigg Sports Bar
Bonnryigg Sports Bar
Have your say

Two goals in the final five minutes sent Bonnyrigg Sports Bar into the third round of the Presidents Cup with a 3-1 win over Sunday Morning side Roseburn Thistle.

The match looked set for extra time as Roseburn had salvaged an equaliser in the 84th minute but then a goal apiece from substitutes George McAlpine and John Aitken sent the Midlothian side through.

Sunday Premier 1 side Bonnyrigg were well on top early in the first half but just couldn’t take their chances – a theme which was to continue until the deadlock was broken in the second half.

Bonnyrigg’s Craig Johnston was the danger-man down the right for much of the afternoon and his dangerous ball across goal was almost nodded into the net by Alan Cleary in the opening minute. Roseburn were stuck inside their own half for much of the opening 45 as Bonnyrigg went in search of the opening goal. Stephen McNally almost got it with a great left-foot effort which whistled just over the bar and then right-back Paul McLeod’s dipping strike from 30 yards almost caught out Przemek Rygielski but the goalkeeper produced a superb stop to tip it over.

Bonnyrigg finally opened the scoring on 64 minutes, with Roseburn yet to test out stand-in Sports Bar keeper Steven Crosbie. A delightfully weighted inside pass from David Gillan in-behind the defence found Johnston who fired into the bottom corner.

Further chances for Bonnyrigg could have extended their slender lead but Roseburn gave themselves a lifeline with a late equaliser. Martin Jamieson was unlucky with his free-kick attempt which crashed off the bar but Roseburn were quicker to react and David Hoorigan bundled the ball into the net.

Bonnyrigg were intent on settling the tie in normal time and they took the lead through McAlpine just minutes later with a header from a free-kick before Aitken sealed the win with a lovely goal in the final minute. The striker picked the ball up on the half-way line and ran at the Roseburn defence, with team-mates shouting for him to pass – he ignored their pleas – continuing his run into the box and he curled his left foot shot into the top corner.

Meanwhile, ten-man Edinburgh South Vics were unable to take all three points to cut Heriot Vale’s lead at the top of LEAFA Saturday Premier 1 to four points, as they drew 1-1 with Edinburgh Rose.

Vics found themselves up against it when Stewart Cotton was sent off after 15 minutes but they took a first-half lead through Paul Murray.

Murray could have made it two before half-time but he missed a penalty for Vics and Paul Dunlop got Rose back on level terms midway through the second half when he lobbed Vics’ goalkeeper but they weren’t able to make the extra man count.

In fact, Vics looked most likely to take all three points and Peter Gilhooley was presented with that golden chance in the last minutes but he couldn’t take it.

Elsewhere, Saturday Premier 1 side Tollcross Thistle edged Lothian East team Newtongrange Star A 2-1 in the second round of the Centenary Cup. Tollcross had built up a two-goal lead but Star pulled a goal back inside the last ten minutes to set up a nervy finale for Tollcross.

Striker Michael Yuill continued his goal-scoring form with Tollcross’ first, using his strength and pace to get past two defenders and then blasting past Star’s goalkeeper. Adam Perry then put Tollcross two ahead after a good move involving Jack Norman and Gary Craig when he placed the ball into the net from around 12 yards. But Tollcross were given a scare when Star capitalised on a slack back pass to pull a goal back.

Tollcross manager Alan McKay was pleased to be able to utilise his squad ahead of this Saturday’s Scottish Cup second round tie at Stirlingshire outfit Fallin AFC. He said: “Every player in the 16-man squad was able to play which makes the victory better. It’s one of the best rules the amateur game brought in allowing teams to use five subs. This gives every member of the playing squad a better chance of playing.”