Amateurs: Salveson slaughter Dilligaf in Presidents Cup

Goal-crazy: Salvesen booked their place in the second round of the Presidents Cup by beating Dilligaf 12-3
Goal-crazy: Salvesen booked their place in the second round of the Presidents Cup by beating Dilligaf 12-3
Have your say

Salvesen eased into the second round of the Presidents Cup with a 12-3 victory over Dilligaf at Forrester High School.

Ross Gunn was the hero for the home side with five goals alone in the second half for the Sunday Division 1 outfit including a memorable 25-yard strike.

It was team-mate David Ross who had fired his side ahead after just 18 seconds, though, when he netted from the spot after Jack Townsley was tripped.

The home side were two up just minutes later after Gunn’s cross from the right wing found the feet of Ross, who slid the ball past Ian Forsyth.

Salvesen had further chances in the first half to put the tie out of sight for Dilligaf, but the Bathgate men pulled one back before the interval.

A long ball split open the Salvesen defence and David Hastie nipped in between two defenders before lifting the ball over the head of Steven Stewart.

Dilligaf equalised three minutes into the second half when an off-balance Sean Flannigan composed himself in the box to find the bottom corner.

The impressive Townsley then put Salvesen back in front when he found the net at the back post and from then on it was one-way traffic.

Greig Hogarth put Salvesen 4-2 ahead on 60 minutes when he side-footed past Forysth, and Gunn got his first with a wonder strike which arrowed into the top corner.

Gunn added his second and third in quick succession to put the tie out of reach, but Dilligaf did pull one back when Hastie finished well.

Townsley got Salvesen’s eighth before further goals from Gunn (2), Ross and Hogarth set up a second-round tie against Premier 1 side Dunalba.

Meanwhile, Lochend increased their lead at the top of Saturday’s Premier 2 league with a 5-0 home win over East Calder United.

With nearest challengers Bathgate Thistle drawing away to Crammond, Lochend were able take advantage as they maintained their unbeaten league record.

Kevin Milne gave his side an early lead when he leapt above his marker to nod into the net from a corner and added his second shortly after when he headed into the net from Stuart Smith’s cross.

Lochend got their third when Graeme Cole completed a quick counter attacking move, lobbing East Calder’s goalkeeper from 20-yards out.

Cole then tapped in his second before Thomas Crease wrapped things up with a strike from the edge of the box.

Lochend head coach Michael Riley was happy to get all three points. He said: “It wasn’t a great performance but we done just enough to win with a few players out through injury.”

Elsewhere, North Edinburgh Wanderers secured their fourth league win of the season in the Edinburgh West league with a comfortable 4-0 victory over Heriot-Watt.

Striker Dale Robertson put Wanderers ahead after 18 minutes when he lobbed Heriot Watt’s goalkeeper.

Willie Stafford then scored Wanderers’ second to complete a slick passing move which ended with the striker rounding the keeper and passing the ball into the empty net.

Left-back Danny Kay was then cruelly taken out in the box after a surging run which left the referee in no doubts about awarding the penalty, which Robertson disposed off to put Wanderers three to the good going into the interval.

Robertson set-up Danny Airlie for the fourth with a neat flick-on and Airlie coolly finished past Watt’s keeper.

Heriot-Watt didn’t offer much in the way of attack with Wanderers restricting them to long shots which didn’t trouble goalkeeper Jimmy Campbell.