Bennett penalty puts Edinburgh South Vics into Logan Cup final

A Robert Bennett penalty handed Edinburgh South Vics a spot in the semi-final of the Logan Cup, as they required extra time to see off Musselburgh Amateurs at Saughton 3G.

Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 5:30 am
Edinburgh South Vics will face Craigshill Thistle in the final later this month
Edinburgh South Vics will face Craigshill Thistle in the final later this month

Although on paper it looked like a mouth-watering tie, the opening 30 minutes became a midfield battle.

Vics had the best chance before half-time as Gordon Ramsey found a gap in the Mussie defence but keeper Ross Taylor was out quick to save his effort.

When the second half got going Mussie had their best chance to take the lead as Chris Stevenson won the ball at the heart of the Vics defence, rounding keeper Graham O’Brien. But out of nowhere centre half Ryan Smithwaite made what would prove to be a crucial sliding tackle to clear.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It was to be a key moment as just minutes later Vics went ahead as Bennett slid in Stewart Cotton’s clever pass to break the deadlock.

However, late on Scott Lane equalised for Mussie as he stabbed in Stevenson’s low ball into the box, meaning extra time was required. Vics made their moment count when Bennett converted from the spot after being fouled by Taylor.

Vics go on to face Craigshill Thistle in the final later this month.

• East Linton’s title bid alive

East Linton kept alive their hopes of Premier Division glory as they came from behind to defeat Edinburgh Uni 4-1 at Memorial Park.

Linton were under par in the opening 45 minutes in their title bid, and Uni took advantage to lead at the break. An inswinging corner from the left was headed in by Harold Buchardt.

Linton fought back and equalised not long after the restart. Ross Clark’s diagonal pass through the Uni defence was chased down by Jules Anderson who slotted calmly home.

The momentum was with the hosts and after they took the lead through Calum Hill’s close-range strike, they cemented their advantage as Anderson struck the ball into goal from the penalty spot to make it 3-1.

Uni tried to conjure a goal but Linton showed why they’ve been at the top end of the table all season by seeing the game out. With the clock ticking down, substitute Jamie Wilson picked out the Uni goal with a composed effort in the box to seal victory for his side.

• Treble for Meadowbank

Meadowbank FC made it a treble as they scooped the Stead & Simpson Cup, with an 8-7 shoot-out victory over Lothian United at Meadowbank 3G.

Having already been crowned Edinburgh Cup and Sunday Division 1 champions, Meadowbank looked to add their third title of the campaign as they faced the Sunday Premier Division leaders. Despite being in the division below, Meadowbank edged their opponents throughout the opening 45, going ahead just before the break. Ryan Scott’s free kick from out wide was headed in by Paul Martin to give his side a deserved lead.

United had to come out strongly in the second half and they did, scoring just three minutes after the restart. Terry Carlin’s ball in from the right was headed in by Bob McKenzie.

Both sides then had spells where they looked dangerous, but it wasn’t to matter as neither Meadowbank or United could put the ball in the net once again. It was the same pattern in extra time as 30 minutes progressed with neither team finding the net and so penalties were required. As the shoot-out progressed to sudden death, Martin Cairney’s penalty was saved by Meadowbank keeper Aaron Griffiths, allowing his team-mate Fraser Andrews to fire in the winning effort.