Dunalba leave league woes behind and hit Vale for six

Dunalba booked their place in the Edinburgh Cup semi-finals
Dunalba booked their place in the Edinburgh Cup semi-finals
Share this article
Have your say

LEAFA Sunday’s Premier 1 bottom club Dunalba took a breather from league duty as they sealed their place in the last four of the Edinburgh Cup with a 6-1 win over Burgh Vale at Meadowbank.

Dunalba have struggled this season in LEAFA’s premier Sunday league, with just one win in six, but this convincing victory has the potential to have a galvanising effect on their league form.

Paul Martin scored the opener for Dunalba after 15 minutes. The towering centre-midfielder found space in the middle of the park and from all of 30 yards his low strike found the bottom corner of Jamie Hall’s net, the goalkeeper unable to keep it out despite getting a hand onto it.

It wasn’t long before the home side doubled their lead when, after 23 minutes, Othman Reggane nipped the ball past Hall after striker Scott McDonald had set him up with a deft header.

Burgh Vale weren’t getting any luck on the attack front with Dunalba centre-back Seung Kim putting in some crucial interventions, but they were given a glimmer of hope on the half-hour mark when Kim was shown a red card after an altercation with a team-mate.

However, Dunalba who looked the more likely to score the third goal of the afternoon, and McDonald almost claimed it prior to half-time – his chipped shot strking the post.

Despite having the man advantage, Burgh Vale were still toothless on the attack and if it hadn’t been for the work of keeper Hall, Dunalba could have been out of sight before they got a crucial third on 60 minutes.

A loose pass out of defence was stolen by Dunalba’s Adam Cornick, who was left with the simplest of finishes from around ten yards as he swept the ball into the net past the helpless Hall.

Dunalba looked like scoring with every attack and it wasn’t long before they made it 4-0 after Reggane curled his shot into the corner of the net past the unsighted Hall.

Vale’s Stuart Green nicked a consolation for the visitors with 15 minutes left. The goalscorer wasn’t allowing Dunalba’s defence any time or space and with one swipe of his boot he nicked possession and fired into the net.

Substitute Ian Hamlyn was close to restoring Dunalba’s four-goal lead, but Hall thwarted the winger with a great diving save to his left. However, the keeper could do nothing when Dunalba got a comedy fifth. After a crazy sequence of missed chances which flashed back and forth across the goalmouth, Mark Wood eventually found the net from two yards out.

Aaron Ormiston then scored a late sixth for the rampant home side when the left winger latched on to a long ball before firing across Hall and into the net.

Premier 1 side East Linton survived a cup scare on Saturday as they won 4-2 away to North Merchiston Vale in the third round of the Centenary Cup.

After a goalless first half, Vale took the lead when defender Stephen Notman reacted quickest in the box to volley into the net.

The visitors were level on 55 minutes though, when striker Kevin McKillop got his first of three with a well-taken header.

The prolific forward then put the Premier 1 strugglers ahead with another header after meeting a cross from the right wing, before he completed his hat-trick with ten minutes remaining when he cut inside before placing the ball into the bottom corner.

Gordon Rollo, just on as a substitute, got East Linton’s fourth after sliding the ball past Vale’s goalkeeper. Then Fraser Seywright pulled one back for Vale when his shot from the edge of the area was deflected into the net.

Lochend Amateurs booked their place in the fourth round of the Centenary Cup with a 4-1 home win against league rivals Danderhall MW.

Premier 2 leaders Lochend were a goal down after just 15 minutes, but responded in fine fashion to continue their cup run. Graeme Cole scored the equaliser just prior to half time with a header at the back post. Then, on 65 minutes, Ian Gilhooley put the home side in front with a spectacular half-volley from the edge of the box before strike partner Tam Crease made it three when he chipped Danderhall’s goalkeeper from 16 yards.

The best was yet to come though, as Michael Smith made it four with an incredible 35 yard free kick which flew into the top corner.