Edinburgh East on the rise in President’s Cup as Edinburgh Caley fell Corstorphine Timbers

Ten-man Meadowbank bounced back

Monday, 20th January 2020, 4:20 pm
Updated Monday, 20th January 2020, 4:27 pm

Sunday afternoon Edinburgh East thumped Sunday morning Division 2 outfit Meadowmill in their own backyard with a crushing 5-0 defeat in the second round of the President’s Cup.

Premier Division outfit East proved to be too strong for their East Lothian hosts, with the opener arriving after 16 minutes when Daniel McLean produced a neat finish inside the area to grab his first goal for the club.

East ended the half on a high as Chris Melbourne netted a double to ensure they went into the half-time break well in command of the cup tie.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Stuart Kidd had only just come off the bench when the striker fired in from just inside the box after being on the park for 60 seconds. Jordan Foster sealed a convincing win when he converted from close range.

Elsewhere, Edinburgh Caley defeated league rivals Corstorphine Timbers at the same stage of the competition with a 4-3 penalty shootout victory after a 2-2 draw, with Caley No.1 Steven Parker saving two penalties.

Edinburgh United Vale pulled to within two points of second place Shotts Thistle YMCA in the Lothian West league after they came from behind to win 3-2.

Striker Ethan Rathore volleyed in from close range on the half hour after his front partner Neil Rankin had knocked the ball down to put Vale ahead at the break.

Two quickfire goals from Shotts put them ahead, but the home side fought back with Liam Henderson netting a fortuitous equaliser when his shot came off the post and hit a Shotts defender before landing in the back of the net.

With just ten minutes remaining, Vale struck as Luke Leiper slotted in at the back post from Robbie Armstrong’s cross.

Ten-man Meadowbank bounced back from a goal down to win 4-1 away to Fauldhouse in the Challenge Cup second round.

The visitors found themselves behind after ten minutes, but quickly restored parity after Euan Bell was brought down for a penalty, and Stewart Adams found the bottom left corner from the kick. Meadowbank goalkeeper Aaron Griffiths was sent off after 20 minutes when he conceded a penalty, but centre-back Denholm Lyall took the gloves and saved the spot-kick.

Lyall would keep the visitors in it with a couple of good stops, before Paul Martin fired them in front in the 70th minute.

James Russell headed in number three,with Adams getting his second of the game in the final minute to make it four.