Forfar 1-5 Hearts: Young Hearts run free in final friendly

Jake Mulraney and Ross Callachan both scored for Hearts against Forfar
Jake Mulraney and Ross Callachan both scored for Hearts against Forfar
Have your say

Hearts' final pre-season friendly ended in a comfortable victory at Forfar thanks to goals from Ross Callachan, Jake Mulraney, Dario Zanatta and two from Rory Currie.

A youthful visiting team dominated proceedings from kick-off despite most of their experienced regulars being rested. Competitive action starts on Wednesday for the Tynecastle side against Cove Rangers in the Betfred Cup, so many senior players did not travel to Angus.

Manager Craig Levein and assistant coach Austin MacPhee were also absent as they were watching Hearts' Betfred Cup opponents play, so first-team coaches Jon Daly and Liam Fox took charge for the day.

Callachan put Hearts ahead on 13 minutes when his skewed shot from the edge of the penalty area bounced in off the post. The Forfar goalkeeper, Marc McCallum, left the ball thinking it was going wide but it ricocheted off his right upright and landed in the net.

Three minutes later, winger Mulraney doubled the advantage with a low finish from seven yards after midfielder Andy Irving's incisive run and cutback.

Hearts were in command but their trialist goalkeeper Kevin Silva still had to be alert to push Dylan Easton's shot for a corner when Forfar threatened. Silva also made a smart save low down to stop centre-back Andy Munro's header before the interval.

Forfar's aggressive approach led to several late tackles by home players, and in that sense this was a fairly taxing assignment for the youngsters from Edinburgh. The third goal four minutes into the second period guaranteed victory, Zanatta heading home Bobby Burns' cross from close range.

Easton beat Silva with a dipping shot from 22 yards only to see the ball thump against the underside of the crossbar. Forfar finally did reduce the deficit when John Baird scored from the penalty spot following a foul by Daniel Baur on a trialist substitute.

Hearts' response involved three shots in quick succession at McCallum's goal. The goalkeeper parried the first two from Burns and Dario Zanatta before holding the third from Callumn Morrison. Visiting substitute Anthony McDonald then rasped the gloves of McCallum's replacement, Willie Muir.

Currie, who took over from Mulraney at half-time, plundered a fourth goal for Hearts on 73 minutes after McDonald's effort had been blocked. The striker claimed his second only minutes from full-time with an instinctive touch inside the six-yard box to convert Burns' cross from the left.

Forfar (4-4-2): McCallum (Muir 67); Meechan (Trialist 56), Travis (Clark 90), Munro, Whyte; Bain (Trialist 78), MacIntosh (Malone 56), Reilly, Easton; Hilson (Kelly 56), Baird (Starkey 74).

Hearts (3-4-3): Silva; L Smith, Petkov, Baur; Morrison, Callachan (Cochrane 62), Irving (C Smith 81), Burns; Amankwaa (McDonald 62), Zanatta, Mulraney (Currie 46). Unused subs: Mason, Moore, Ritchie.

Referee: Euan Anderson.

Attendance: 718.