ON THIS DAY: Hearts beat Hibs 5-1 in 2012 Scottish Cup final

Hearts players celebrate after beating Hibs 5-1 in the 2012 Scottish Cup final. Pic: TSPL
Hearts players celebrate after beating Hibs 5-1 in the 2012 Scottish Cup final. Pic: TSPL
Have your say

Hearts hammered their Edinburgh rivals Hibs five years ago to this day to claim the Scottish Cup in a goal-laden Hampden final.

The Gorgie side, who left Craig Beattie on the bench and David Templeton out of the squad altogether, were forceful early on and Rudi Skacel, a scorer in the Jambos’ 2006 final success against Gretna, headed wide from Andy Driver’s cross.

And Paulo Sergio’s side moved into a 15th-minute lead with a scrappy goal from Grainger’s corner.

Hibs were unable to clear as Andy Webster and McGowan tried to force the issue and then McGowan’s deflected shot sat up kindly for Darren Barr to poke home.

Hearts’ confidence grew and their use of the ball was stretching Hibs, who had Pa Saikou Kujabi booked for a foul on Suso.

Skacel received Ian Black’s pass just outside the box and his shot on the turn took a nick off James McPake as it swerved past Mark Brown and doubled Hearts’ advantage on 27 minutes.

McPake denied Hearts a third with a crucial clearance near the goal-line after Suso’s shot had beaten Brown.

And the on-loan Coventry defender then made a vital contribution at the other end to give Hibs hope.

Tom Soares’ poor corner was cleared but Hibs recycled the ball back to the midfielder on the right and his dangerous low delivery into a crowded area was nudged past keeper Jamie MacDonald by the outstretched foot of McPake.

Referee Craig Thomson showed leniency after Leigh Griffiths pushed Ian Black as the two became involved in a scuffle, the Hibs striker perhaps still smarting from a heavy aerial challenge by the midfielder earlier in the match.

Half-time soon came and went and there was drama seconds after the restart as Hearts were awarded a penalty.

Kujabi pulled the jersey and caught the heel of Suso as the Hearts winger sped along the byeline and the Spaniard tumbled as he made his way into the box.

Thomson pointed to the spot but television replays suggested the foul by Kujabi had taken place just outside the box as the dismissed left-back trudged off the park in dejection.

Grainger calmly swept the ball home from 12 yards for his first Hearts goal.

Hibs’ struggle to contain their opponents at set pieces continued as Ryan McGowan nodded over the line after Brown had got a hand on Stephen Elliott’s initial header.

It got worse for the Leith side when Skacel found space in the D and sent another net-bound shot past Brown.

Black waved goodbye to the Hearts fans as his final appearance for the club came to an end five minutes from time, the midfielder replaced by Scott Robinson.

And within moments the Hearts fans were given the signal to start the celebrations as Thomson brought proceedings to a close.

Hearts: MacDonald, McGowan, Grainger, Webster, Barr, Zaliukas, Santana, Black (Robinson 86), Elliott (Beattie 76), Skacel, Driver (Taouil 84). Unused subs: Ridgers, Prychynenko.

Hibs: Brown, Doherty, Kujabi, McPake, Claros (Sproule 42), Hanlon, Osbourne, Soares (Francomb 76), O’Connor (Doyle 54), Griffiths, Stevenson. Unused subs: Grant, O’Hanlon.