Hibee history: Can this year be lucky number 13?

Dixie Deans wheels away after scoring for Celtic against Hibs in the 1972 final
Dixie Deans wheels away after scoring for Celtic against Hibs in the 1972 final
Have your say

As Easter Road men bid for Scottish Cup glory against Celtic tomorrow, Scott Thomson looks back at the club’s 12 previous final appearances


February 12, 1887

Hibs’ first Scottish Cup triumph, in the 14th playing of the competition, was not without controversy.

After defeating Vale of Leithen 3-1 in the semi-final, their opponents lodged a complaint to the SFA that Hibs had fielded an ineligible player – a professional no less. The SFA held an inquiry three days before the final but failed to reach a conclusion on the protest and so a decision was postponed until after the final.

After beating Dumbarton at the second Hampden Park, now named Cathkin Park, thanks to goals from James Montgomery and the ‘ineligble’ player in question, Willie Groves, Hibs were finally awarded winners status three days after their success when the charge was thrown out.

Hibs: Tobin, Lundy, Fagan, McGhee, McGinn, McLaren, Montgomery, Groves, Lafferty, Smith, Clarke.

Crowd: 15,000


March 14, 1896

The only Scottish Cup final to be held outside of Glasgow took place at Logie Green and saw the first all-Edinburgh showpiece.

Hearts took the lead after only three minutes when Alex Robertson handled in the area Davie Baird scored from the penalty spot.

The Jam Tarts doubled their lead midway through the second half when Alex King finished from a tight angle before Willie Michael added a third, ensuring it was Hearts’ day. Hibs got a late consolation through James O’Neil.

Hibs: McCall, Robertson, McFarlane, Breslin, Neil, Murphy, Murray, Kennedy, Groves, Smith, O’Neil.

Crowd: 16,000


April 26, 1902

Hibs’ last Scottish Cup triumph came with Andy McGeachan ensuring hero status for the Easter Road side.

The final was played at the home of finalists Celtic after the Ibrox disaster at the Scotland v England fixture, two weeks prior. McGeachan scored with 15 minutes remaining with a goal from Paddy Calaghan’s corner.

Hibs: Rennie, Gray, Glen, Breslin, Harrower, Robertson, McCall, McGeachan, Divers, Callaghan, Atherton.

Crowd: 16,000


April 16, 1914

Celtic overcame Hibs in a cup final replay after the first encounter had ended in a stalemate, with doubles from John Browning and Jimmy McColl.

Early goals from McColl paved the way for a convincing win and Celtic made it three before half-time, with Browning getting his first. After the restart, Browning made it four. Hibs got a consolation five minutes later through William Smith.

Hibs: Allan, Girdwood, Templeton, Kerr, Paterson, Grosart, Wilson, Fleming, Hendren, Wood, Smith.

Crowd: 40,000


MARCH 31, 1923

Celtic deservedly won the Scottish Cup thanks to a second-half goal from Joe Cassidy at Hampden.

Hibs started the brighter of the two sides after the interval but ten minutes of pressure could not yield a goal for the Easter Road men.

Celtic took the lead with what proved to be the winner after a mistake from Hibs goalkeeper Willie Harper. A teasing cross into the area was not dealt with by Harper, who mistimed his effort to grasp the ball and Cassidy headed into the empty net.

Hibs: Harper, McGinnigle, Dornan, Kerr, Miller, Shaw, Ritchie, Dunn, McColl, Halligan, Walker.

Crowd: 82,000


April 19, 1924

Hibs reached their second Scottish Cup final in succession but faced the same outcome as they were defeated by the now-defunct Lanarkshire side, who secured their first and only cup triumph.

Hibs started with exactly the same team which had started the Scottish Cup final the year before but a first-half double from Willie Russell was enough to take the trophy to Airdrie.

Hibs: Harper, McGinnigle, Dornan, Kerr, Miller, Shaw, Ritchie, Dunn, McColl, Halligan, Walker.

Crowd: 59,200


April 19, 1947

Aberdeen won their first Scottish Cup in their first appearance in the final against a Hibs side who had taken the lead after only 25 seconds.

After a seemingly harmless long ball upfield from Hibs left back Willie Finnigan found it’s way into the box, George Taylor chose to pass back to his goalkeeper George Johnstone. Johnstone looked to gather the ball but he let it slip and Hibs foward Jock Cutbertson nipped in.

Aberdeen responded quickly but Hibs held strong until the 35th minute. South African winger Stan Williams gathered the ball after a long ball over the Hibs defence and he crossed in for George Hamilton, who headed into the net.

But even Hibs legends such as Willie Ormond, Gordon Smith and Eddie Turnbull could not break the cup hoodoo with Aberdeen scoring the winner, courtesy of Williams, just before half-time.

Hibs: Kerr, Govan, Shaw, Howie, Aird, Kean, Smith, Finnigan, Cuthbertson, Turnbull, Ormond.

Crowd: 82,000


April 20, 1958

a skilful Clyde overcame a courageous Hibs side who had lost one of their most influential players in Andy Aitken to an early injury. After Aitken hobbled off the field after only 15 minutes, Hibs took another spot of misfortune with what proved to be the winning goal for Clyde.

Clyde’s dangerous centre forward John Coyle was troubling the Hibs defence and his shot from just outside the box deflected into the net via the boot of John Baxter.

Hibs: Leslie, Grant, McClelland, Turnbull, Plenderleith, Baxter, Fraser, Aitken, Baker, Preston, Ormond.

Crowd: 95,000


MAY 6, 1972

Celtic steamrolled Hibs with a devastating performance to add to their league title, with striker Dixie Deans grabbing a hat-trick.

The Parkhead side stormed into an early lead when skipper Billy McNeil slammed the ball home after only two minutes, but Hibs levelled things up when Alan Gordon scored nine minutes later. Celtic regained the lead when Deans grabbed his first of the match midway through the first-half. Bobby Murdoch flighted in the free-kick and Deans rose to head past Jim Herriot.

Hibs were lucky to only be one behind at the interval but, after only ten minutes of the second half, Celtic had one hand on the cup. There was a mix-up in the Hibs defence between Heriott and defender John Brownlie, Deans calmly rounded them to make it 3-1.

Deans then grabbed his hat-trick before Lou Macari got a double in the final ten minutes.

Hibs: Herriot, Brownlie, Black, Blackley, Schaedler, Edwards, Stanton, Hazel, Duncam, O’Rourke, Gordon.

Crowd: 106,000


MAY 28, 1979

Rangers required two replays and extra time to overcome a resilient Hibs side who eventually went down after three games at Hampden in the space of 16 days.

A goal apiece for Tony Higgins and Ally McLeod wasn’t enough for the Easter Road side, whose long wait for Scottish Cup glory continued.

Two goals for Rangers defender Derek Johnstone and an own goal from Hibs defender Arthur Duncan brought the trophy back to Ibrox.

The original cup final had ended 0-0 before the replay also ended goalless, so a third match was needed to determine the victor. After 90 minutes, it was level with two goals apiece but Rangers grabbed their winner when Duncan put the ball into his own net.

Hibs: McArthur, Brazil, Stewart, McNamara. Duncan, Bremner, Rae, Callachan, Higgins, McLeod, Campbell.

Crowd: 30,000


MAY 26, 2001

Henrik Larsson scored two goals as Celtic secured the treble in Martin O’Neil’s first season in charge of the Parkhead club. Jackie McNamara had given Celtic the lead before half-time.

Hibs: Colgan, Smith, Sauzee, Fenwick, Laursen, O’Neil, Jack, Brebner, Murray, Libbra, Paatelainen.

Crowd: 52,000


MAY 19, 2012

A DAY all Hibs fans would like to forget as a historic day turned into a nightmare.

Hearts took the lead through Darren Barr after 15 minutes when he pounced in the box to fire past Mark Brown.

Hearts doubled their lead through their Czech star Rudi Skacel. He received the ball on the edge of the area before turning and firing his shot goal wards, taking a deflection off Hibs captain James McPake on its way into the net.

McPake gave Hibs a lifeline shortly before half-time when he slid in to convert Tom Soares’ low cross.

The lifeline didn’t last for long as Pa Kujabi hauled down Hearts winger Suso Santana outside the box, but referee Craig Thomson pointed to the spot after the winger tumbled into the area.

Kujabi had already been booked in the first half for a dangerous challenge and he was given his marching orders.

Left-back Danny Grainger stepped up to make it three before further strikes from Ryan McGowan and then Skacel again, secured a historic victory for Hearts.

Hibs: Brown, Docherty, Hanlon, McPake, Kujabi, Soares, Claros, Stevenson, Osbourne, O’Connor, Griffiths.

Crowd: 51,000