Hibs leave Reds green with envy as win puts them into third round

Edina Hibs are through to the third round of the South East Region under-13 Lothian Buses Cup after an impressive away win against Spartans FC Reds at Inverleith Park.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 6:08 pm

With Spartans and Edina sitting in second and third respectively in South East Region Division 1, it was always set to be a close match, and that is how it proved as the greens emerged 3-2 winners.

Edina will play Fernieside Colts, Musselburgh Windsor or Liberton United in the next round of the competition.

The first goal was scored after seven minutes when Edina forward Cameron Dawson hit the post after he picked up a crossfield ball in the penalty area. Lewis Marshall was first to the rebound, slamming the ball high into the net.

Sign up to our Hibs football newsletter

Spartans nearly came back immediately as Kieran Pirie’s free kick met the head of Ross Thomson, who diverted the ball over Hibs goalkeeper Jordan Richardson only to see it fly agonisingly past the right post.

After 15 minutes, Thomson hit the bar from 20 yards out and Michael Allan forced a superb diving save from Richardson.

A few minutes later, it was Spartans goalkeeper Robbie Elvin’s chance to impress. He saved superbly when Jamie Weir’s shot looked destined to find the bottom left corner, and then Cameron Redpath headed left of the post for Edina.

Dawson had chances to score on the verge of half time. He volleyed over after a Liam Willis corner, and then struck the ball over the bar when one on one with Elvin.

Thomas Purves doubled Edina’s lead shortly after the start of the second half. Picking up the ball on the edge of the area, he shot over Elvin into the net.

Spartans pulled one back with their next chance. Daniel Sutherland chipped a through ball into the path of Allan whose powerful shot ended up in the bottom left corner, despite Richardson’s best efforts to palm the ball wide.

Spartans equalised with 15 minutes remaining. Sutherland’s first shot was parried by Richardson but he made no mistake with the rebound, finishing into the centre of an open goal.

Dawson grabbed the winning goal in the last five minutes. He found himself one on one after a through ball from midfield and dribbled round Elvin, leaving himself with a simple finish.

Spartans Reds manager Tony Mbewe felt that with a bit more luck his team could have snatched a victory. He said: “I think the match went really well. We’re obviously disappointed that we didn’t get the result but it could have gone either way. We’ve now got to prepare for the next league game. We’ve basically got a new squad this season and we hope to be up near the top at the end of the season. Sometimes results won’t go our way but most days we’re capable of beating the teams in this league.”

Edina Hibs coach Andy Peden was pleased with the win and is aiming to win the Lothian Buses Cup. He said: “In the first half we had a lot of the chances and could have been more goals up at half time. They came back in the game in the second half but we deserved the victory.

“Spartans did really well. They dug in when required but we got there in the end. We’re capable of winning this cup and we want to be as high as we can in the league.”

Edina team secretary Grant Fleming added: “We want to get to as many cup finals as possible.”

Spartans Reds: Robbie Elvin, Jack Doughty, Bobby Gibson, Daniel Healey, Sean McCorkindale, Jamie McIntosh, Keiran Pirie, Daniel Sutherland, Ross Thomson, Marcus Mbewe, Michael Allan, John McPherson, Aaron McKay, Jack Hunter.

Edina Hibs: Jordan Richardson, Lee Barrett, Cameron Dawson, Liam Willis, Corey Davidson, Thomas Purves, Martin Boyle, Ross Hope, Jack Combe, Stuart Mackrell, Cameron Redpath, Lewis Marshall, Jamie Weir, Lee Linton, Kieran Savage, Andrew Fleming.