Alan Stubbs: Hibs banished demons against Dundee United

Alan Stubbs
Alan Stubbs
Have your say

Hibs boss Alan Stubbs today claimed his players had exorcised their ghosts in their first match at Easter Road since suffering the trauma of relegation.

Stubbs admitted there had been a touch of nerves and trepidation in the home dressing-room before the pre-season friendly with Dundee United, the game coming just two months after that dramatic penalty shoot-out against Hamilton which provoked furious protests from fans with calls for chairman Rod Petrie to go.

But while conceding that had led to a cautious start, Stubbs felt his players, while having lost the game to a late Chris Erskine strike, had produced a performance which would have left their supporters with “a lot more optimism and excitement” than they probably envisaged a few weeks ago.

He said: “The game wasn’t about the result but for me the players have overcome a huge hurdle, their first game in front of the fans. There were nerves and trepidation before the game because they were not too sure what to expect so I think when they started the match there was a little bit of caution.

“However, once they found their stride it was there for all the fans to see that we are trying to get it down and play – but with an effect. I don’t just want to play and look nice, I want us to create chances, to have opportunities at goal and I felt we did that.

“I have huge admiration for the players for the way they tried to play – they kept looking to get on the ball. We caused United problems, they caused us problems at times with their movement, but I think we worked it out quite well. From that point of view, it was a great exercise for us, the hardest team we have come up against by quite a bit – a team that’s probably going to be right up there challenging for second or third spot in the Premiership – and I think the lads stood up to that challenge. Obviously it was just a friendly, we start for real against Rangers, but this was a huge step towards that.”

Hull City goalkeeper Mark Oxley played the entire 90 minutes as a trialist with Stubbs expecting the 23-year-old to end his search for a No.1 by signing a season-long loan deal today. The Hibs head coach said: “I’ve told you all along I wanted to get one in place, it was just a matter of getting the right one.

“Some people panic, but that’s not my style. I knew what I wanted, I said I didn’t mind waiting, that I would wait for the right one and I feel as if I have got that.” Newcastle United midfielder Michael Richardson was one of six substitutes Stubbs introduced 17 minutes from time and the 22-year-old trialist will get a further chance in Wednesday’s friendly against East Fife at Bayview. Stubbs said: “He has been with us for a few days, he’ll be involved on Wednesday and we’ll take it from there.”

• Callum Crane, Jordan Sinclair, Neil Martyniuk and Scott Martin all scored as Hibs’ Under-20 side defeated Haddington Athletic.

The Easter Road youngsters are back in action on Wednesday when they face Selkirk at Yarrow Park (kick-off 6.45pm).