Hibee History: Celtic mistakes punished in thriller

Dean Shiels could not believe his luck after Artur Boruc dropped the ball for Hibs' third goal
Dean Shiels could not believe his luck after Artur Boruc dropped the ball for Hibs' third goal
Have your say

A last-gasp goal from Dean Shiels secured victory for Hibs in a pulsating tie against league leaders Celtic.

Two howlers from Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc handed the Hibees victory after a five-goal thriller at Easter Road.

The result left John Collins’ men as the only unbeaten side left in the league after seven games – with this match their fourth win.

Hibs were without the suspended Clayton Donaldson, while Filipe Morais dropped to the bench, with Stephen Fletcher and Kevin McCann being granted starting berths, while Celtic players Mark Wilson and Shunsuke Nakamura were ruled out after picking up injuries in the Glasgow club’s Champions League defeat against Shakhtar Donetsk earlier in the week.

The two players were replaced with Jean-Joel Perrier-Doumbe and Aidan McGeady.

Collins attempted to outwit opposite number Gordon Strachan by adopting a 3-5-2 formation that had backfired on a couple of previous occasions. It was looking like a suspect decision from the Hibs coach when goalkeeper Yves Ma-Kalambay was forced to make a couple of blocks from Scott McDonald efforts after the Australian exploited the extra space just outside the six-yard box.

But Hibs struck first when Fletcher’s slightly deflected drive from 25 yards somehow managed to deceive Boruc after only five minutes of play. The goal settled the home side, but they suffered a blow after 19 minutes, when Fletcher was stretchered off in some distress after picking up a leg knock following a 50-50 challenge with Stephen McManus.

Collins’ men were pegged back seven minutes later after a swift interchange of passes between Scott McDonald and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink inside the Hibs box set up McGeady to drive the ball into the corner of the net from 16 yards.

Collins had seen enough and pulled off young Lewis Stevenson after 29 minutes and his replacement, Filipe Morais, made an immediate impression with some clever jinking runs from central midfield.

The former St Johnstone and Millwall player was involved in Hibs’ second goal four minutes before the break, with Thierry Gathuessi pouncing on a poor headed clearance by Gary Caldwell to blast the ball into the far corner from 15 yards.

Hibs were first to threaten after the break with Caldwell clearing from in front of his own goal after Morais had beaten Boruc to a through ball and lobbed the goalkeeper from an acute angle.

Mickael Antoine-Curier and substitute Shiels both fired efforts wide, but Celtic started to take control.

Only two desperate late lunges from Rob Jones denied Paul Hartley and Scott Brown being put clear close to goal and Ma-Kalambay did well to turn a powerful McGeady effort over the crossbar. But from the resulting corner, Caldwell headed powerfully home from eight yards.

Just when it looked like Celtic would save their unbeaten league record, Boruc dropped Merouane Zemmama’s drive and Shiels forced the ball home.

It consigned Celtic to a rare two defeats in a row.

Hibernian: Ma-Kalambay, McCann (Zemmama 74), Hogg, Jones, Murphy, Gathuessi, Beuzelin, Kerr, Stevenson (Morais 30), Antoine-Curier, Fletcher (Shiels 20).