Hibee History: Danny Galbraith grabs the glory with stoppage-time winner at Celtic

Celtic 1, Hibs 2. SPL. Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Saturday, 25th January 2020, 6:03 pm
Joy for Danny Galbraith

Danny Galbraith’s stoppage-time winner ensured Hibs returned to the Capital with all three points in a dramatic match at Parkhead.

Hibs’ victory in Glasgow’s east end was a major blow to the Hoops’ title hopes, with this loss leaving them ten points adrift of league leaders Rangers.

Home boss Tony Mowbray made one change, with left-back Paul Caddis coming in for stopper Glenn Loovens who sustained a face injury in Perth, with Darren O’Dea moving into the centre of defence to partner 18-year-old Josh Thompson. With only one regular defender in Celtic’s back four, right-back Andreas Hinkel, there appeared the opportunity for the Leith side to take advantage.

Sign up to our Hibs football newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But, before Hibs had a chance to test that theory they found themselves behind.

Marc-Antoine Fortune headed the home side into the lead after five minutes from Paul Caddis’ corner-kick, the striker reacting first at the front post to head past Hibs keeper Graeme Smith.

The game, though, was to take a sudden and surprising U-turn. In the 26th minute, after Artur Boruc had pulled off a fine save to prevent Thompson scoring an own goal with a header, Hibs drew level from the resultant corner.

Derek Riordan crossed from the left and Anthony Stokes nipped in ahead of Boruc to flick his header into the net.

With Celtic rattled and the home fans growling in frustration at how the game had turned, the former Sunderland striker drove just wide from distance.

The first half ended with Celtic striker Georgios Samaras picking up a booking for a late challenge on Smith - a decision which prompted the Hoops fans to jeer referee Iain Brines as the teams trooped off.

Within a minute of the second half starting, Aiden McGeady ran onto a Fortune pass but screwed his shot just wide of the target.

Korean midfielder Ki Sung-Yueng replaced McGinn on the hour mark, seconds after the Northern Ireland internationalist had a close-range volley brilliantly blocked by Smith. Five minutes later Lewis Stevenson and Galbraith came on for Riordan and Colin Nish as the visitors tried to

get a foothold in the game again.

But it was Samaras who missed a sitter when he headed Caddis’ cross high over the bar from just six yards out, the Greece internationalist rewarded for his mistake by being immediately replaced by Morten Rasmussen who was making his debut.

As tension grew inside Celtic Park, Chris Hogg sliced his shot wide of the target from Galbraith’s corner. But in a sensational finale, with seconds remaining, Hibs broke and Galbraith slotted past Boruc for the winner.

Celtic: A Boruc, D O’Dea, P Caddis, A Hinkel, J Thompson, A McGeady, Zheng Zhi (P McCourt, 71), M Crosas, N McGinn (Ki Sung-Yueng, 60), G Samaras (M Rasmussen, 67), M Fortune. Subs not used: P McGowan, L Naylor, J Hooiveld, L Zaluska.

Hibs: G Smith, C Hogg, I Murray, P Hanlon, L Miller, J Rankin, K McBride, D Wotherspoon, D Riordan (D Galbraith, 64), A Stokes, C Nish (L Stevenson, 64). Subs not used: P Cregg, D McCormack, K McCann, A Benjelloun, Y Makaba-Makalamby.

Referee: Iain Brines.