Hibee History: It’s Miller time in away win

Hibs' Kenny Miller battles with Kilmarnock's Gus MacPherson
Hibs' Kenny Miller battles with Kilmarnock's Gus MacPherson
Share this article
Have your say

Kilmarnock 0, Hibs 2: November 6, 1999

Miller, who had earlier hit the post, broke the deadlock on 70 minutes when he stole in at the back post to thunder Paul 
Hartley’s low cross into the back of the net.

And the 19-year-old sealed the points for Hibs with an incredible strike two minutes from time as he shrugged off three challenges in a storming 60-yard run before clipping the ball home.

Incredibly, he was denied a hat-trick in the dying seconds as Killie keeper Colin Meldrum pulled off a super save.

Miller almost got Hibs off to a dream start after just two minutes, denied a goal only by a superb finger-tip save from Meldrum. It was a move which began deep inside Hibs’ own half, Franck Sauzee, captain for the day, laying the ball off for Pat McGinlay to send it forward for Miller.

The teenage striker used his blistering pace to make 50 yards but, as Mixu Paatelainen raced for the back post, the youngster elected to tuck inside and fire in a right-foot shot which appeared destined for the net until Meldrum threw himself full length to touch the ball round his left-hand post.

But, three minutes later, Hibs had to rely on an equally good save from Nick Colgan to keep them on level terms.

The Easter Road side dealt with the initial threat of a corner only for the ball to land at the feet of Ian Durrant, and he picked out Christophe Cocard in acres of space. The French star looked certain to strike for the fourth game in succession but Colgan came to Hibs’ rescue, blocking his shot from ten yards with his leg.

Hibs went close again in the tenth minute when Paatelainen got up to meet a hanging cross from Derek Collins, knocking the ball down in the direction of Miller. Gary Holt swung a leg at the ball and then held his breath as it sliced inches wide of his own goal.

The second half began as the first had ended with Hibs hemmed inside their own half and they were given a double scare.

The Edinburgh side had been relying heavily on a well drilled off-side trap but Killie managed to evade it as Durrant picked out Jerome Vareille in space. The striker took the ball 
on his chest but Collins came in with a superb challenge, only to see the ball fall kindly for Ally Mitchell whose ferocious right-foot shot was beaten away by Colgan.

Hibs’ attacks had been fairly sporadic, but a terrific crossfield ball from Russell Latapy found Miller again making great use of his searing pace. The young hitman unleashed a left foot shot which screamed across the face of goal only to clip the left-hand post and go wide.

Hibs replaced Paatelainen with Dirk Lehmann and they took the lead two minutes later much to the shock of the home fans.

Hartley opened up the Killie defence with a teasing run on the right before whipping a low ball across the face of goal. It was out of the reach of Lehmann, but Miller arrived at the back post to crash the ball home.

Having taken the lead, the last thing Hibs wanted to do was loose a silly goal but they almost did so when Colgan went walkabouts on his right touchline forcing Latapy into conceding a corner. But Miller sealed the game for Hibs with his second thrilling goal in the 88th minute.

And what a strike it was. The youngster picked the ball up inside his own half and waltzed his way through before placing a low shot beyond Meldrum.

Hibs: Colgan, Collins, Smith, Jack, Dempsie, Sauzee, Brebner, Latapy, McGinlay, Paatelainen, Miller.