Hibee History: Latvians hung out to dry

Paul Dalglish tries to take control for Hibs in treacherous conditions at Easter Road
Paul Dalglish tries to take control for Hibs in treacherous conditions at Easter Road
Have your say

Hibs made light of defensive opponents and torrential summer rain to open up a commanding first leg lead in the second round of the Intertoto Cup against their Latvian guests.

A thunder storm made conditions difficult for both teams, with heavy rain falling and the floodlights on in mid-summer to pierce the unseasonal gloom in Edinburgh.

Hibs were just ten days into their pre-season schedule under manager Tony Mowbray, while Dinaburg had played 11 league games, although they lay sixth in the eight-team Latvian top division.

The visitors packed their defence and Hibs were quick to pile forward, looking for a way through, with full-backs Steven Whittaker and David Murphy prominent in attack.

Striker Paul Dalglish had a great chance to open the scoring after 25 minutes but couldn’t lift his shot cleanly over goalkeeper Vadims Fjodorovs and a defender hacked the ball off the goal-line.

Dalglish was then presented with another great chance but headed a great Scott Brown delivery wide from close range, however the Hibees soon made the breakthrough.

Kiwi forward Chris Killen found the back of the net seven minutes before the break when his header from a Michael Stewart cross was saved but he was quick enough to force the rebound into the net.

Brown flashed a powerful strike narrowly over the crossbar and Steven Fletcher went close with a header as the home side finished the first half well in the ascendancy.

Brown raced clear to finish within 60 seconds of the second half only to see his effort cancelled out by the linesman’s flag.

But the busy midfielder was not to be denied and he sprinted through to round the keeper and score four minutes later.

Defender Rob Jones, making his debut for Hibs, went close with a couple of headers, while Fletcher failed to convert a one-on-one with Fjodorovs.

Hibs were beginning to look a little tired when a welcome third goal arrived on 72 minutes, thanks to substitute Ivan Sproule.

The Northern Ireland internationalist shot a loose ball under Fjodorovs to give the home side a lift and he soon set up Murray for a fourth Hibs goal.

Sproule’s cross was missed by a clutch of weary defenders and the left-back had time to pick to his spot and blast home a powerful strike to leave the Latvians demoralised. Fletcher, who had fluffed another one-on-one, added a wonderful late free-kick from 20 yards after replacement Amadou Konte had missed two gilt-edged chances.

Hibs secured a 3-0 away victory the following Saturday to move through to round three, where they lost out on away goals to Danish side Odense BK.

Hibs: Simon Brown, Whittaker, Murphy, Hogg, Jones, Stewart, Thomson, Scott Brown, Dalglish, Killen, Fletcher.