Hibee History: No stroll over Meadow

Abdessalam Benjelloun holds off Irvine Meadow's Derek Wingate
Abdessalam Benjelloun holds off Irvine Meadow's Derek Wingate
Have your say

HIBS overcame a tricky Scottish Cup fourth-round tie against Junior side Irvine Meadow, but the win was not as comfortable as the final scoreline suggested.

For long spells, the Easter Road club made heavy weather of this tie, surviving a penalty claim before an own goal from Irvine’s Alexander Ryan eased them ahead.

Irvine hit the woodwork through Brian McGinty although Hibs would point to a number of missed opportunities to record an even more emphatic victory.

As for “The Medda,” they departed defeated, but with a handsome cheque, a day to remember and the comfort of knowing they had done the Junior game proud.

As he had promised, Hibs boss John Hughes fielded his strongest side, the only change being the return of centre-forward Colin Nish with Darren McCormack suspended following his red card in the previous weekend’s derby with Hearts.

Although overwhelming favourites, Hibs found themselves on the back foot in the opening minutes as their opponents sought to make light of the gulf between the two clubs, McGinty trying his luck with a rising shot which zipped over the crossbar before John Hughes’ side survived an anxious moment as Richie Barr went down under the challenge of goalkeeper Graeme Smith. However, referee Euan Norris adjudged the former Hibs kid had taken a dive although television pictures apparently suggested contact had been made.

There was no questioning the Junior outfit’s commitment or zest for the game, but they fell behind in the cruellest fashion after 32 minutes. Merouane Zemmama found David Wotherspoon who delivered a low cross which came off the head of right-back Ryan and into the net although there was little doubt Derek Riordan would have converted in any case.

Nevertheless, Medda hit back, Chris Strain firing in a shot which Smith couldn’t hold only for the Irvine player to send his second attempt woefully wide.

The Ayrshire side went even closer in the 34th minute as McGinty curled in a shot which looked to be going well wide only for the ball to clip the inside of Smith’s left-hand post and fall safe. Hibs doubled their lead three minutes from the break as Anthony Stokes chased down Riordan’s pass before turning it back into the path of Zemmama, who dispatched a terrific right-foot shot into the top corner of the net.

Only a great challenge by Ryan prevented Riordan adding a third before Colin Nish prodded a Zemmama pass inches wide as Hibs ended the opening 45 minutes with a flourish.

Irvine began the second half as they had the first, on the front foot and Smith needed two attempts to take another powerfully-struck shot from Strain although at the other end it took a terrific last-ditch challenge from Chris Robertson to prevent John Rankin scoring before goalkeeper Michael Wardrope did well to push over a vicious effort from Paul Hanlon.

There was no stopping Hanlon, however, in the 59th minute as he took Riordan’s ball down the line and raced into the penalty area to drill a low shot into the far corner.

Hanlon’s goal ended any threat of a giantkilling act and Stokes almost made it four with an effort which came off the post before Barr passed up the chance to claim a consolation goal, blasting wildly over from 12 yards when he should have done better.

Hibs: Smith, Wotherspoon, Hogg, Murray, Hanlon, Zemmama, Rankin, Miller, Nish, Riordan, Stokes.