Hibee History: Skipper Chris hogs the limelight

Chris Hogg hauled his team from behind with two headers
Chris Hogg hauled his team from behind with two headers
Share this article
Have your say

Chris Hogg scored twice as managerless Hibs came from behind to beat Kilmarnock and record a second victory of the season for the Leith side.

Ex-manager John Hughes had led the Hibees to just one league win in their opening seven games of the season, but caretaker boss Gareth Evans managed to get a win in his first match in charge of first-team affairs, however he would be moved aside two days later when Colin Calderwood took over.

With Hibs playing their first match since the departure of Hughes, former Hibs striker Evans and youth coach Alistair Stevenson oversaw the first team in the absence of a new manager.

Killie threatened straight from the off when Conor Sammon diverted the ball wide from a corner.

And the Ayrshire side were soon in front as Liam Kelly crossed for David Silva to control and fire into the net past Mark Brown after just two minutes.

Alexei Eremenko fired over from long range and Sammon scooped another effort over as former Hibee Mixu Paatelainen’s side continued to threaten.

And Silva should have scored his second when he connected with Harry Forrester’s cross, but the forward’s header drifted wide.

Having been under the cosh for much of the first half, Hibs rallied and drew themselves level on 38 minutes when Derek Riordan’s corner was headed towards goal by Hogg and Craig Bryson could not make a clearance on the line.

And, seven minutes later, Hogg was Hibs’ hero again, this time meeting Paul Hanlon’s diagonal ball with a looping header past goalkeeper Cammy Bell.

Killie began the second half much like they had started the first and Kelly drew a save from Hibs keeper Brown. John Rankin shot over for Hibs and Riordan had another effort deflected off target as the hosts looked to put the game to bed.

Bryson crossed for Sammon to head towards goal but the forward’s effort was blocked on the line. Sammon claimed the ball had been diverted away from goal by the hand of defender Sol Bamba rather than Brown but referee Iain Brines turned down the penalty claims and awarded a corner.

Hogg picked up an injury and was given a rapturous applause from the home fans as he left the field to be replaced by Michael Hart.

Colin Nish’s header was deflected wide of the Killie goal and Jamie Hamill’s low free-kick was tipped out for a corner by Brown as the match swung from end to end.

Referee Brines booked unused Hibs substitute goalkeeper Graeme Smith for withholding the ball when it had drifted out of play as the home side tried everything to hold onto their lead. Kilmarnock substitute Rui Miguel headed over as the match moved into injury time.

Hibs broke in the dying seconds and Riordan was found in the box by Rankin’s pass but, with the goal at his mercy, the striker fired wide.

But it mattered little for Hibs as the full-time whistle blew almost as soon as Riordan had missed the target.

Hibs: Brown, Hogg, Hanlon, Bamba, Stevenson, Rankin, Wotherspoon, McBride, Miller, Riordan, Nish.