Hibernian 1 - 1 St Mirren: Stalemate at Easter Road

Liam Henderson and St Mirren Jim Goodwin challenge for the ball. Picture: Lisa Ferguson
Liam Henderson and St Mirren Jim Goodwin challenge for the ball. Picture: Lisa Ferguson
Have your say

HIBS passed up the chance to go second in the Championship table, dropping points for the first time this season.

The Easter Road side looked flat throughout the first half, going behind to Calum Gallagher’s 18th minute strike before Martin Boyle equalised two minutes before half-time.

And although Lewis Stevenson hit the bar on the hour mark, the Capital outfit were unable to force a winner.

Hibs boss Alan Stubbs made just one change to the side which sent Aberdeen crashing out of the League Cup in midweek, Marvin Bartley coming in at the expense of Darren McGregor.

The Easter Road side went into this game seeking a fourth straight Championship win at home but were shocked when Saints took the lead in the 18th minute, Gallagher finding an alarming amount of space in the heart of Hibs defence to turn David Gray and slide the ball past Mark Oxley.

It was the first league goal conceded this season by Stubbs’ players who were looking a bit flat after their exertions against the Dons.

The home fans, though, were lifted as Lewis Stevenson’s deflected cross was nodded down at the back post by Martin Boyle, Saints goalkeeper Jamie Langfield just getting his fingertips to the ball ahead of Jason Cummings.

And Hibs went close again when goalscorer Gallagher got himself in front of Gray as he made for Liam Henderson’s inviting cross with the goal gaping.

Long-range shots from John McGinn and Henderson flew high and wide, a sign of a little anxiety and frustration at the way things were going for the Capital side.

There was a lethargy about them, highlighted as Marvin Bartley took Oxley’s throw and charged forward only to find most of his team-mate simply jogging out rather than sprinting.

But they and their fans were finally lifted by an equaliser three minutes before half-time, Henderson spotting Gray’s blind-side run and delivering a cross which the right back nodded across goal to find Boyle diving to head home.

Hibs went desperately close to going ahead 15 minutes into the second half, Stevenson’s cross-come-shot from wide on the left going over the head of Langfield who could only look on helplessly as the ball crashed back off the crossbar.

The goalkeeper, though, was there to get down to clutch Boyle’s first time shot from Gray’s through ball as Hibs sought that second goal.

Henderson had the opportunity to do so when he got to Boyle’s cutback but the midfielder failed to get enough on the ball, scuffing it horribly wide.

Langfield was forced into a point blank save from substitute Dominique Malonga, throwin up his left hand to knock away the striker’s header from McGinn’s pinpoint cross.

Hibs: Oxley, Gray, Hanlon, Fontaine. Stevenson, Bartley, McGeouch, Henderson (Carmichael 80), McGinn, Cummings, Boyle (Malonga 67).

Substitutes not used: Reguero, Stanton, McGregor, Dunsmore, Martin.

St Mirren: Langfield, Baird, Webster, Kelly, McMullan (Thompson 67), Carswell, Goodwin, Howieson, Gallagher (Morgan 89), Shankland (Mallan, 85)

Substitutes not used: Wilks, Conlan, Agnew, McGrath.

Referee: Crawford Allan.

Attendance: 8911