Hibs 1 Raith Rovers 1: Nade equaliser denies Hibees

Hibernian's Jason Cummings (left) battles with Raith's Rory McKeown. Pic: SNS
Hibernian's Jason Cummings (left) battles with Raith's Rory McKeown. Pic: SNS
Have your say

Hibs threw away the chance to move into second place in the Championship table as former Hearts star Christian Nade grabbed a sensational last-gasp equaliser for Raith Rovers.

But the Capital club only had themselves to blame, creating and spurning a host of openings throughout the match.

It looked as if Martin Boyle’s first goal for the Easter Road club was going to be enough to earn all three points and see them leapfrog Rangers until Nade, who had claimed the equaliser on Raith’s last visit to Easter Road got his head to Ryan Conroy’s corner six yards out to silence the home support.

Alan Stubbs’ signing Keith Watson went straight into the team, replacing Callum Booth, now on loan at Partick Thistle, at right back while goalkeeper Tomas Cerny took a seat on the bench where he was joined by striker Franck Dja Djedje, now recovered from the hamstring problem which had caused him to miss the victories over Cowdenbeath and Queen of the South.

Raith had Hearts youngster Dale Carrick, who has joined the Fife club on a short-term loan deal, among their substitutes.

Grant Murray’s side made their intentions clear from the start, getting everyone bar striker Christian Nade behind the ball every time Hibs were in possession and, for much of the first half-hour that was the case as Stubbs’ players knocked the ball about seeking an opening.

Jason Cummings fired a vicious drive straight at Raith keeper David McGurn before Scott Allan drilled another effort just over the top. Although they were finding themselves pinned back Raith threatened when Grant Anderson latched onto a slack pass forcing Liam Fontaine into a great block at the edge of his own penalty area.

But Hibs were immediately back on the attack, Fontaine sending a looping header just wide before Rory McKeown blocked Keith Watson’s shot before Boyle should have opened the scoring in the 28th minute.

Scott Allan’s pass left him in plenty of space but he could only fire a low shot off the legs of McGurn. Cummings went even closer in the 34th minute, taking Craig’s pass with his back to goal before cleverly turning and drilling in a shot which beat McGurn but crashed back off the goalkeeper’s left hand post.

However, it took Hibs only a minute of the second half to get themselves in front, Dylan McGeouch playing a superb pass to leave Boyle in acres of space and only McGurn to beat. He didn’t waste the opportunity this time, calmly sliding the ball into the far corner of the net.

Raith hit back almost immediately, Mark Stewart hitting a rising shot from a tight-ish anlge, forcing Mark Oxley in the Hibs goal to tip the ball over the bar.

Cummings had the chance thanks to another astute pass from Allan to make it two for Hibs but the teenager could do no better than hammer the ball off McGurn’s legs.

There was a second chance for Hibs to do so minutes later when Fontaine set off on a surging run down the right touchline, Boyle taking over to cut the ball back for Cummings. McGurn couldn’t hold his shot and Boyle pounced only to see the ball deflect up and onto the underside of the bar.

McGurn came to Raith’s rescue again, fingertipping a thundering left foot drive over the bar before the offside flag robbed Boyle of a second goal, the forward the first to react after the goalkeeper couldn’t hold Craig’s shot but he had inched just beyond the Rovers defence.

The chances continued to come and go for Hibs, a terrific ball from Scott Allan again giving Boyle an opening which, once more, he spurned blasting the ball straight at McGurn.

The points looked like going to Hibs until that header from Nade in the first minute of added on time at the end of the game.

Hibs: Oxley, K Watson, Hanlon, Fontaine, Stevenson, S Allan, Robertson (Handling 52), Craig, McGeouch (Martin 88), Boyle, Cummings (Dja Djedje 73).

Substitutes not used: Cerny, Forster, Stanton, L Allan.

Raith Rovers: McGurn, Thomson, P Watson, Hill, Anderson (Conroy 71), Moon, Stewart (Carrick 71), Callachan, McKay, McKeown, Nade.

Substitutes not used: Cuthbert, Fox, Scott, Vaughan, Barr.

Referee: Euan Anderson.