ALAN STUBBS today revealed Hibs will rush through new signing Chris Dagnall’s registration with the SFA to allow the striker to be part of the Easter Road squad for Saturday’s Championship clash with Raith Rovers.
The 29-year-old has agreed a short-term deal to join the Capital outfit until the end of the season but his current contract with Indian Super League side Kerala Blasters didn’t expire until today.
However, Hibs have been working on the switch for a number of weeks, beating off competition from at least six English clubs for the player who was top scorer at Leyton Orient where he was a team-mate of Marvin Bartley, who made the move to Edinburgh during the summer.
And Stubbs is confident the necessary paperwork – including an internatiional transfer certificate – will be place to be rubberstamped when the SFA offices open on Saturday morning to signal the start of the January transfer window, Kerala having sanctioned Hibs’ unveiling of Dagnall’s arrival in Scotland despite still being under contract to them.
Dagnall, who has also played for Tranmere, Rochdale, Barnsley, Bradford and Coventry, has been training with his new team-mates at East Mains this week and, provided there are no last-minute hitches, Stubbs plans to have him involved as Hibs seek to get back to winning ways having had their 17-match unbeaten run brought to a halt by title rivals Rangers at the beginning of the week.
The head coach said: “We will see how Chris goes over the next couple of days, but there is a distinct possibility he will be in the squad. It’s pretty straightforward. It’s just a matter of geting the papers in on Saturday morning and we have until 12.30pm to do that.
“The club have been in contact with Kerala, they’ve been aware he was coming here and they gave us permission to announce that last week. Unless something comes out of the woodwork and delays things, I am working towards Chris being in the squad.”
Meanwhile, Stubbs has disclosed that he’s spoken to his players individually and collectively to ensure there’s no hangover from Monday’s defeat, the 4-2 setback giving Rangers a three-point lead at the top of the table while Falkirk have now overtaken Hibs on goal difference to take second place.
He said: “I’ve spoken to them about not feeling sorry for themselves. We have done really, really well and, if I was given this situation before the season started, would I have taken it? Of course I would have done.
“We have done really well up to now and we cannot lose sight of that because we have lost a game of football after 17 matches. It does not affect what we still want to achieve. It’s just a little bump. I said that there were going to be twists and turns. Saturday gives us a chance to go again.”