Hibs’ development squad friendly with Tranent abandoned after serious injury

The Hibs development squad’s friendly with Tranent Juniors was abandoned after 85 minutes after a serious injury.

The Hibs players celebrate Jamie Gullans second goal
The Hibs players celebrate Jamie Gullans second goal

Tranent midfielder Ben Miller came off worse after a full-blooded 50-50 with Hibs defender Kos Sadiki in the middle of the park with around five minutes left to play, and the 24-year-old required prolonged treatment on the pitch from both teams’ medical staff.

Canadian youth internationalist Sadiki was replaced by Jack Hodge but Miller had to be stretchered off after the referee brought the game to an early conclusion.

Ryan Porteous played no part in the game, despite the Scotland Under-21 international completing the full 90 minutes of the development squad’s last two matches - against Elgin City in the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup and last week’s friendly with Dunfermline - but the abdominal injury suffered by Darren McGregor in the early stages of the Betfred Cup win over Morton has potentially created a space for the 20-year-old in the match-day squad for Saturday’s Ladbrokes Premiership clash with St Johnstone.

The East of Scotland outfit - with former Easter Road defender Brad Donaldson at centre-back - matched Lee Makel’s side well in the first half at a sun-dappled Foresters Park, restricting Hibs to efforts from distance from Ben Stirling and Jamie Gullan, while Yrik Galantes saw a close-range header easily saved by Belters ‘keeper Ally Adams.

Miller and Stephen McDonald had a half-chance each midway through the first half, while Jamie Devlin and Dean Whitson also threatened before Galantes curled another effort just over the bar.

That was the Filipino forward’s last act as he made way for Steven Bradley at half-time while recent signing Dino Leddie replaced Josh Doig, who looked to have picked up a knock late in the first period.

Hibs stepped up the pressure in the second half, with Bradley and Tommy Block linking up well on the right flank, and it was no surprise when the Easter Road side took the lead on the hour mark.

Gullan surged into the box on the left side, riding a couple of challenges before slipping the ball past Adams from close range.


Hide Ad

The forward fired another effort straight at the ‘keeper two minutes later before shooting just wide minutes later as he pushed for a second goal.

Bradley was next to try his luck but his effort from the edge of the box flew narrowly wide of Adams’ right-hand post.

Gullan threatened again as he wriggled his way into the box before a last-ditch tackle from Sean Murphy halted the forward’s progress.

The home side did get forward on a handful of occasions, mostly down the left side, but despite two dangerous crosses there was no one in maroon waiting to take advantage and the scoreline stayed the same.


Hide Ad

It seemed like only a matter of time before Hibs extended their lead and a second goal duly arrived on 75 minutes.

Stirling was the architect, evading the attentions of Craig Reid on the right wing before sending in a low cross to the six yard box, which Gullan knocked past Adams from close range for his and Hibs' second.

It was no less than the wee Hibees deserved after sustained pressure in the second half, but the game, which had been played in a good spirit, ended on a sour note with that injury to Miller, who left the field of play with his leg in a brace to applause from both sets of fans.

Tranent Juniors: Adams; Berry, Whitson, Donaldson, Reid; Miller, Devlin, Hill, Murphy, Barrett, McDonald. Subs: Moffat, McKenzie, Hawkins, McGovern, Jones.


Hide Ad

Hibs: Cantley; Block, Sadiki (Hodge), Doig (Leddie), Yeats; I Murray, Campbell, Stirling, Mackie (Fairley); Galantes (Bradley), Gullan. Sub not used: Woods.