Queen of the South 1 Hibs 0: Hibees 4 defeats in 6

Jason Cummings (right) is challenged by Ian McShane. Pic: SNS
Jason Cummings (right) is challenged by Ian McShane. Pic: SNS
Have your say

Hibs found themselves tumbling down the Championship table again as they crashed to their fourth defeat in six matches, a first half strike from Ian McShane enough to earn Queen of the South all three points.

McShane dispossessed Hibs midfielder Scott Robertson and, after feeding team-mate Gavin Reilly, sprinted into the six yard box to slide home the game’s only goal.

And apart from an early chance for Mark Kennedy, Alan Stubbs’ rarely threatened as they turned in another woeful performance on a plastic pitch.

After playing their part in the dramatic fightback against Cowdenbeath as second half substitutes, Hibs new boys Jake Sinclair and Dominique Malonga were handed starting places by boss Alan Stubbs with Scott Allan dropping to the bench and striker Paul Heffernan out of the squad altogether.

Matty Kennedy had a great chance to fire Hibs ahead after just six minutes, the winger doing well to hold off the challenge of Andy Dowie to get goal-side and onto Sinclair’s pass only to hit his shot off the legs of goalkeeper Zander Clark.

However, the Doonhamers slowly took a grip on proceedings and twice scorned decent openings as free-kicks from McShane, one from either touchline eluded the visiting defence.

Ian Russell fluffed his shot from the first having been found in plenty of space and then Dowie hammered the ball over from only six yards out.

Hibs didn’t heed those warnings, though, and fell behind in the 29th minute and again they were the authors of their own downfall.

Scott Robertson was oblivious to the presence of McShane behind him as Paul Hanlon sent the ball in his direction, the Queens’ man robbing him before playing it out for Gavin Reilly and then heading for the six yard box to meet his team-mate’s pass to complete the simple task of sliding the ball past the helpless Mark Oxley.

All Hibs had to offer was a Malonga free-kick which crashed off the roof of the stand behind Clark - much to the derision of the home support.

In fact, practically the only flare from the Capital side had been the green smoke bomb set off behind Oxley’s goal.

Hibs did try to inject some urgency after the interval, Hanlon sending a glancing header wide from Kennedy’s cross before the defender tried a speculative overhead kick which sailed well wide.

An enterprising run from Lewis Stevenson provided substitute Jason Cummings with a glimpse of goal, the 19-year-old’s low shot creeping just inches wide of the far post.

Cummings had injected more of a threat and a snap shot was destined for the back of the net until it crashed off the legs of Dowie.

Russell almost had the chance to put the game beyond Hibs as he zoned in on Mark Durnan’s inviting cross but Jordon Forster just managed to get his boot to the ball, knocking it off the Queens’ player and then breathing a sigh of relief as it flew over the bar.

Queen of the South: Clark, Dowie, Durnan, Higgins, Holt, Fowler (Dzierzawski 73), McShane, Russell, Carmichael, Lyle (Kidd 75), Reilly (Baird 90).

Substitutes not used: Atkinson, Hooper, D Smith, Slattery.

Hibs: Oxley, Gray, Forster, Hanlon, Forster, Stevenson, Stanton (Handling 79), Robertson (S Allan 86), McGeouch, Kennedy, Sinclair (Cummings 56), Malonga.

Substitutes not used: Perntreou, Fontaine, Craig, Booth.

Referee: Alan Muir.

Attendance: 3083