Jordan White: I’m happy to be put on spot again

Jordan White was visibly downbeat after Livingston's home draw
Jordan White was visibly downbeat after Livingston's home draw
Have your say

Jordan White couldn’t hide his disappointment after a second-half penalty miss denied Livingston a first home win since mid-September.

The Lions failed to build on Danny Mullen’s fourth-minute opener as a calamitous mix-up involving captain Simon Mensing and goalkeeper Darren Jamieson allowed Cowdenbeath a rather fortuitous route back into the game.

And striker White failed to capitalise from 12 yards after team-mate Kyle Jacobs had been upended in the visitors’ box as Robbie Thomson’s save ensured a share of the spoils at a bitterly cold Energy Assets Arena.

It was a blow in Livi’s quest to avoid relegation, the Blue Brazil far more content with a point which maintains their seven-point gap over the Lions at the foot of the Championship.

Although White was visibly downbeat after Saturday’s encounter, he stressed he won’t shy away from future chances.

“To be honest, I’d rather be there to miss them than not at all,” the 22-year-old said. “I thought I caught it [the penalty] well and it was going to go in, but missing penalties happens to the best players in the world. I’ve just got to pick myself up and go again next week. Give me the chances again and I know I’ll score them. I know things will turn for us as we’re definitely more attacking.

“The game against Alloa is a really big game now. We wanted to win on Saturday there so I feel gutted myself we didn’t. But we can’t dwell on it as Alloa and Dumbarton failed to win at the weekend as well so it’s a point gained there.”

Midfielder Keaghan Jacobs was reinstated to the starting XI after recovering from a foot injury and it was from the 25-year-old’s cross that Mullen was on hand to prod the ball in from just a couple of yards out after Cowdenbeath No.1 Thomson failed to gather.

White and Myles Hippolyte both went close to extending the hosts’ lead as the snow continued to fall, but the visitors were soon back on level terms when a long ball over the Livingston defence from Thomas O’Brien somehow ended up in the home side’s net after Mensing knocked the ball beyond Jamieson, who was in no-man’s land.

“The goals we are giving away are completely and utterly incredible – I’ve never seen anything like it,” boss Mark Burchill bemoaned afterwards.

“The first thing you get taught as a young boy is to never pass the ball back in line with the goals, you pass it to the side of the goals. Secondly, the goalkeeper has come out and he’s not shouted so it has to be sorted out. We seem to be giving incredible goals away.”

Livi’s frailties in defence were once again exposed shortly after the interval when Sean Higgins headed over from an O’Brien cross with the goal at his mercy before Kyle Jacobs somehow shot wide of the target with just Thomson to beat.

After White had spurned the opportunity to restore his side’s lead from the spot, the same player wasted another prime opportunity, heading over a Mullen cross from the right.

It could have been worse for Burchill’s men as Declan Hughes and Kudus Oyengura both went agonisingly close for the Fife side, the former striking the base of the post with a shot from the edge of the box.

White and Kyle Jacobs again went close in the latter stages but Livingston were forced to settle for a draw ahead of Saturday’s crucial clash with Alloa, whose home defeat by Rangers at least allowed the Lions to close the gap at the bottom to five points.

“Three or four of the guys came into the dressing room after and were apologising,” Burchill noted. “I didn’t want to put too much pressure on the players before the game by saying it was a must win, but you could see with five minutes to go who was the happier – Cowdenbeath were time wasting and we were trying to get the second goal.

“We miss a penalty and a hatful of chances so we’re not being clinical enough.”

Livingston: Jamieson, Talbot, Mensing, Fordyce, Kyle Jacobs, Keaghan Jacobs, O’Brien (Praprotnik 87), Hippolyte (Burchill 81), Gallacher, White, Mullen. Subs: Walker, Sives, Robertson, Beaumont, Rutherford.

Cowdenbeath: Thomson, O’Brien, Wedderburn, Robertson, Higgins (Milne 72), Brownlie, Oyenuga, Miller, Marshall, Hughes, Halsam. Subs: Sneddon, Campbell, Kane, Brett, Scullion, Callaghan.

Referee: George Salmond.

Attendance: 829