Juniors: McGachie strikes to give Bonnyrigg derby victory

Super League champions Bonnyrigg Rose bounced back from their disappointing opening-day defeat to Kelty Hearts with a 1-0 victory at local rivals Newtongrange Star last night.

Thursday, 11th August 2016, 5:30 am
Keiran McGachie scored the only goal at New Victoria Park
Keiran McGachie scored the only goal at New Victoria Park

Robbie Horn’s men were on the wrong end of a 4-2 defeat on Saturday but picked themselves up to secure their first points of the season at New Victoria Park.

Striker Keiran McGachie’s 39th-minute effort was enough to take all three points. The big frontman pounced on a loose ball inside the area and prodded past home goalkeeper John Dodds.

Rose now turn their attention towards Sunday’s William Hill Scottish Cup first preliminary round clash away to Glasgow University in Airdrie.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Meanwhile, East big guns Bo’ness United and Linlithgow Rose are both still pointless after two games as they succumbed to their second losses of the season.

Bo’ness, who handed Livingston keeper Darren Jamieson a home debut after securing a loan move on Tuesday night, lost 2-1 to Hill of Beath.

The Newtown Park men fell behind to Lee Reid’s opener on 27 minutes. Striker Fraser Keast levelled for the BUs just before half-time. However, they were denied in the final minute as Callum Adamson struck for Haws.

Linlithgow also suffered late heartache in a 2-1 defeat at Camelon. David O’Brien opened the scoring for the hosts on 40 minutes before recent Rose signing Ross Gray grabbed his first goal for the Prestonfield men early in the second half. Forward Alan Sneddon hit the winner for the Mariners with three minutes remaining at Carmuirs Park.

Penicuik Athletic and Musselburgh Athletic took a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw at Penicuik Park. Home striker Aaron Somerville gave Cuikie an early first-half lead, but Johnny Harvey’s men were denied their second win of the season as Alistair Forster got an equaliser with 11 minutes remaining.

In the Premier League, Haddington Athletic produced a stunning late comeback to steal a point away to Arniston Rangers in a thrilling 2-2 draw.

Kevin Moffat and Lumbert Kataleza had the home side cruising at the break, however, visiting substitute Dean Woods had other ideas – the super sub notching a late, late double, his second with the last kick of the game.

Title favourites Tranent were held at home to Dalkeith Thistle in a 1-1 draw. Kevin Haynes’ men took the lead with ten minutes remaining through Duncan Muir but home striker Kenny Fisher headed Tranent level with four minutes remaining.