Juniors round-up: Big wins for Broxburn and Penicuik

Bo'ness held by Newtongrange

Monday, 20th March 2017, 5:30 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:49 am
Alexander Miller, pictured in his Bo'ness days, scored a hat-trick for Broxburn


Broxburn 5

Camelon 0

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The first half produced few chances with Camelon being denied early on when the wind caught a defensive header back to the keeper and he did well to to scramble back and scoop it off the line. Broxburn’s best chance in the first 45 minutes came when they hit the bar. With the wind dying down Broxburn went nap in the second half. On 52 minutes Craig Scott got on the end of a loose ball and fired home. An hour gone and the hosts marked it with a stunning Kieron Anderson 30 yard free-kick into the top corner. Alexander Miller then took over, scoring a hat-trick on 75, 82 and 86 minutes to finish Camelon off. Prior to the fifth goal Camelon’s Andrew Kay saw red for a second bookable offence.

Broxburn: Wallace, Cole, Baptie, Gavin, Paterson, Linton (Browne 70), Nimmo (Richards 77m), Scott (Downie 77), Miller Locke, Anderson. Subs: McNaughton , Donoghue.

Camelon: D Kane, Meikle (Mitchell 72), Scott, Bell, Morrison, Kay, Docherty (Herron 66), Wright, Sneddon (Taylor 87), Donaldson, O’Brien. Subs: Breingan, Bollan

Lochee 0

Musselburgh 0

In a first half of few chances, Musselburgh came the closest to scoring on 28 minutes when Mattie King was clean through but keeper Mark Fotheringham did well to close him down. Bryan Deasley headed narrowly past goal as the home side pushed for an opener and Musselburgh substitute Barry Hogg fired a 20-yard free kick just over. Lochee were reduced to ten men with eight minutes remaining when Dougie Cameron was shown a straight red for a challenge on Mattie King but despite Musselburgh pressure the home side held out to ensure a share of the points.

Lochee United: Fotheringham, Kirk, Lunan, Whitehead, McNally, Ritchie, Montgomery, Cameron, Webster, McComiskie, Deasley. Subs: Deane, 
McMahon, Blackwood, Clarkson.

Musselburgh Athletic: Renton, Moffat, McManus, Lynch, Davie, O’Kane, Murphy, Thomson, Donaldson, Spowart, King. Subs: Cherrie, Ralton, Hogg.

Newtongrange 0

Bo’ness 0

Bo’ness gained a point thanks to the heroics of keeper Andy Murphy who was outstanding. The hosts had an early opportunity when Errol Douglas saw his shot saved by Murphy before Will Snowdon headed over for the visitors. Douglas had a shot cleared off the line before the break. Murphy made a fantastic penalty save from Douglas before making further outstanding saves from Douglas and then Gary Hamilton. Late on Bo’ness could have won it but Michael Gemmell headed wide.

Newtongrange: Amos, Swaney (Cook 76), Murray, Martynuik, Hamilton, Currie, Morris, Douglas, Wilson, O’Brien, Lander. Not used: Bracks, Cropley, Flynn, Lally.

Bo’ness: Murphy, Gemmell, Simpson (Columbine 66), Snowdon, Hunter, Ruari MacLennan, Donnelly, Philp, Smith (Strickland 57), Keast, Roddy MacLennan (Eddington 62). Subs not used: Campbell, Sloan.

Penicuik 4

Jeanfield 0

The first half saw Jeanfield edge just ahead in terms of pace and possession but it all went pear-shaped for the visitors when Deans got his marching orders in the 47th minute for foul and abusive language. Penicuik then took the lead in the 49th minute when Forbes headed home a Gay corner kick. Penicuik took advantage of the extra man in the second half with goals from Somerville in the 59th minute and then S Scott five minutes later. Penicuik substitute Lough rounded off the scoring in the 78th minute. One minute into injury time and Swift’s Smith was sent off after receiving a second yellow card.

Penicuik: Easton, Forbes, Noble, Hume (c), Young, Gay, MacDonald, Jones, Somerville, S Scott, K Scott Subs: Janczyk, McCallum, Barr, Connolly, Lough.

Jeanfield Swifts: Mitchell, Fleming, Deans, Smith, Scott, Holden, McManus, Gunnion, Baker, Yates, Dewar. Subs: McDermid, Sutherland, Kelly, Donavan, Anderson.


Tranent 1

Kennoway Star Hearts 3

A good unbeaten run came to an end with this defeat for Tranent against a good Star Hearts side. Tranent took the lead with an Alec Christie effort in the first half but the Fifers replied when Alec Band equalised. They then grabbed a double from Grant Wilson to take all three points back over the bridge.

Tranent: Robertson, Christie, Wojtowoycz, Smeaton, Kerr, Smith, Miller, J Paterson, Fisher, K Paterson, Watters. Subs: Manson, Fiddler, Lewis.

Star Hearts: Sutherland, Boylan, A Gray, Bremner, Brewster, Lee, Byres, Band, Wilson, Shaw, Field. Subs: Young, B Gray, G Gray.


Dalkeith 1

Tayport 0

This was a valuable three points for the home side who ended up with only 10 men after Paul Tansey was red carded in the first half. Dalkeith pushed hard from the start and were rewarded in the 24th minute when Stewart Adams headed home what turned out to be the only goal of the game. Tayport came back at 10 man Dalkeith in the 2nd half but the home side held out.

Dalkeith: Trialist, Murray, Robertson, McQueenie, Greig, Redpath, Wales, Whitson, Adam, McGlashan, Tansey. Subs: Waugh, McLean, Hunter, Combe.

Tayport: Sorley, Walton, Sturrock, Ovenstone, G Anderson, Ogg, Mackie, Alvarez, Tulleth, Sutherland, Reid. Subs: Christie, F Anderson.