LEAFA round-up: Edinburgh Caledonian, Cabrera and Edinburgh Star advance in cup

The latest LEAFA action with several clubs in cup action

Monday, 27th January 2020, 6:20 pm
Updated Monday, 27th January 2020, 6:23 pm
Steven Parker saved two penalties and scored one as Edinburgh Caledonian knocked Newton AFC out of the Energywise Sports East District Cup

Reigning Sunday Morning Division 1 champions Edinburgh Caledonian are through to the last eight of the Energywise Sports East District Cup thanks to the heroics of goalkeeper Steven Parker who saved two penalties and scored one in their 4-2 penalty shootout victory away to Newton AFC.

All-round sportsman Parker, who is also captain of Stewart’s Melville cricket club, is regarded as one of the best in LEAFA and the one-time Cove Rangers player lived up to that tag with a Herculean showing in the shootout.

It wasn’t all plain sailing for Caley, who fell behind early on to their West Lothian hosts on a pitch on which both sides found it difficult to play anything resembling attractive football.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The visitors would equalise through striker Chris Jones before the interval, when he flicked his header over the home keeper who had rushed out of his area to gather the ball but failed in his attempt.

Both sides had chances to secure victory in a battling second half, but penalties resulted and it was here that Parker took over, when after saving two home strikes, he dispatched the winning penalty with aplomb.

Cabrera see off Carron Valley

Caley’s league rivals Cabrera MC AFC also progressed to the last eight of the competition with a 2-0 victory at home to Carron Valley, thanks to a double from John McLeary in the second half as their visitors ended the tie with ten men.

Edinburgh Star advance on penalties

Lothian West league leaders Edinburgh Star are through to the third round of the Challenge Cup after the heroics of stand-in goalkeeper Mikey Elder who saved three penalties in a 3-2 shootout win after a 4-4 draw with Lothian West Lauriston Thistle.

Elder, usually a centre midfielder, stepped in at the final hour after Star’s regular keeper called off late. His performance in the shootout came at a cost, however, as he sustained three fractured knuckles as a result of his first penalty save, making it all the more special that he went on to save two more.

Lauriston had led 3-2 at the interval in the topsy-turvy tie, with Scott Coleman and James Guy netting for the home side.

The visitors would go two goals ahead early in the second half, but an own goal and a further Coleman strike sent the tie to spot-kicks.