Leith Athletic's dominance of Alex Jack Cup continues

Leith Athletic's recent dominance of the Alex Jack Cup continued as they thrashed Eyemouth United 6-0 in the final at Coldstream's Home Park.

Tuesday, 5th April 2016, 5:30 am
eith Athletic celebrate one of six unanswered goals against Eyemouth United. Pic: Kimberley Powell

The league leaders have now won the trophy for the fourth consecutive year and never looked likely to relinquish the silverware after John Ferguson had swept in their opener shortly before the half hour.

A devastating second-half display from Derek Riddel’s men ensured the cup would be heading back to the Capital as a brace from Scott Wilson and further goals from Sean Murphy, Kerr Allan and Gavin Kneeshaw sealed the Borders club’s fate.

“We started the game really well but Eyemouth had the best chance within the first 20 minutes, our goalkeeper Neil Fairnie making a cracking save to stop them going in front,” Riddel said. “We then managed to get ourselves on top, John Ferguson scoring the opener for us in the first half and then adding another five after half-time.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“We’ve done great in this competition in recent times but hopefully we won’t be playing in it next year because if you win the league, you don’t play in the Alex Jack and are instead entered into the Scottish Cup.”

Leith are 25 points ahead of reigning champions Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale, although the Saughton-based club do have seven games in hand.

“There are still a lot of games to play but we’ve just go to try and win as many games as we can. It’s not over until it’s mathematically impossible so I’m not counting my chickens just yet even though a lot of people are saying it’s now just a two-horse race,” Riddel added.

Meanwhile, Civil Service Strollers defeated Heriot-Watt University 2-0 at Marine Drive with former Whitehill Welfare striker Jordan Finnie on target for Civil with a goal in either half. Craigroyston also picked up three points with a fine 3-1 victory over Stirling University at St Mark’s Park – Keith Buckley twice on target for the home side with Craig Dickson also getting his name on the scoresheet.

Tynecastle drew 2-2 away to Burntisland Shipyard and, in the King Cup second round, Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale were 3-1 victors over Spartans at Saughton Enclosure.