Adam Perry puts Tollcross Thistle into fourth round

Tollcross Thistle faced a tough test at the home of Edinburgh University but came through it to win
Tollcross Thistle faced a tough test at the home of Edinburgh University but came through it to win
Have your say

Tollcross Thistle progressed to the East of Scotland Cup fourth round with a 3-1 win away to Edinburgh University at Peffermill.

The visitors, looking to put last weekend’s defeat behind them, started well and took the lead in the 25th minute. Michael Yuill brought the ball forward on the flank before drilling the ball across the area for Adam Perry to tap in from six yards.

However, Edinburgh have proved difficult to beat at home this season and they weren’t going to give the game up easily. Just before the break, they levelled things up when Ciaran Duffy tapped in from six yards after reacting first to a loose ball in the box.

Tollcross were to prove too strong for the hosts, though, as they went on to score 15 minutes into the second-half. Jack Norman’s free-kick found Perry in the box, and the striker pounced again, heading in past the goalie.

Towards the end, Edinburgh pushed bodies forward in search of an equaliser; they were exposed at the back, however, and gave away a late corner. Norman took it and found Perry once more for a well-deserved hat-trick.

Lochend get first victory

After a slow start to the league campaign, Lochend FC recorded their first win at the sixth time of asking with a 3-0 victory at home to The Spartans. Peter Keenan gave the hosts the lead half an hour into the fixture to set them on their way. The ball was crossed in from the left and Keenan finished well from in the box.

It was an improved performance from the home side, who looked more assured on the ball than in recent times.

Just before the break, they were 2-0 ahead and looking good value for their lead. Craig Robertson took the ball from midfield down the right-hand side before beating two men on the edge of the box and rifling in at the near post.

The visitors gave an improved showing after the break, but Lochend kept things tight at the back. Towards the end of the game, the home side went in search of a third goal to wrap up the win and were awarded a penalty 15 minutes from time. Steven Smith took responsibility and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way to guarantee his side of the points.

Joy of six for Musselburgh

Musselburgh Amateurs came from behind to claim a 3-1 win away to Fernieside at Peffermill and extend their lead at the top of Premier Division 1 to six points.

After a slow opening 20 minutes, the game suddenly came to life with a superb goal from Fernieside’s Christopher Gordon.

After he received the ball from the left, he broke to the edge of the box before striking a powerful effort which flew into the Musselburgh goal.

It sprung the visitors into life, and within ten minutes they were level. As the Fernieside defence tried to play the ball out from the back, Ryan Cameron robbed the ball off the hosts before crossing to Lawrie Flynn, who headed in at the back post.

Then, just before half-time, Musselburgh went ahead. Ryan Drouge’s free-kick was blocked before he followed it up with a first-time shot on goal. It was spilled by the goalkeeper and Flynn was on hand to pounce and follow up the rebound.

Into the second half, and both sides were struggling to score what was going to be a crucial fourth goal.

Then, with five minutes remaining, Musselburgh grabbed a third to seal the victory. With Fernieside bodies forward as they went in search of an equaliser, the away side countered and Jamie Kay set up Gio Crolla for 3-1.