Alba remain United as they draw level with Loco

The Edinburgh United Alba players claimed for a late penalty but the referee wasn't interested
The Edinburgh United Alba players claimed for a late penalty but the referee wasn't interested
Have your say

Edinburgh United Alba came from behind to draw 1-1 with Victoria Loco in the LEAFA Championship – but they were unlucky not to claim all three points.

Loco settled first into the league clash at Saughton, going ahead 20 minutes in. Alba were unable to clear their lines and, from just outside the box, Omar Ali swivelled and fired in low to make it 1-0.

Alba found a way into the game and as half-time neared they came mighty close to levelling. After Mark Law hit the post from distance, Joe Boyle rattled the bar a minute later with keeper Darren Lawrie beaten.

But they persisted and deservedly equalised just before the interval. Stuart Ritchie surged down the left on a counter-attack and he put the ball on a plate for Ciaran Duffy to tap in at the back post.

Although both sides had chances to grab a winner, Alba ended the game on top, but Lawrie was proving unbeatable.

Late on Alba thought they should have been awarded a penalty when Boyle’s long range strike hit the hand of Kevin Dunn in the box but the referee adjudged it wasn’t deliberate.

With that the game drew to a close and both teams settled for a share of the spoils.

Windsor stay in the hunt

Musselburgh Windsor kept themselves in the LEAFA Lothian East promotion hunt with a deserved 4-0 win over Pencaitland FC at Pinkie Playing Fields.

Windsor went 1-0 up with only five minutes gone and that set the tone for the rest of the game. Craig McLean’s cutback into the box went straight to Mark Finlayson and he made no mistake from close range.

They continued to press and ten minutes later Windsor had another goal to their name. Jamie Kay set about chasing a Dave Wood through pass and he raced in to the area to score his first goal for the club.

It was one-way traffic for Windsor on home turf and they kept pressing before the break to score their third of the league clash. Michael Slater’s initial shot wasn’t cleared by Pencaitland and Kay reacted to the loose ball to steer in from ten yards for another.

Pencaitland tried to get themselves back into the game after the restart but Windsor didn’t allow them an inch to create in the final third. As the game went on it was clear there was only going to be one winner and Lewis Knight rounded off the dominant performance when his free-kick from 25 yards was whipped into the net.

Horton does trick for Vale

Jamie Horton bagged a hat-trick as Hermiston Vale came from behind to defeat Mayfield & Easthouses 4-2 in the LEAFA Championship.

Mayfield went in front thanks to David Gillan after 15 minutes when he was the first to react to a goalmouth stramash.

Vale’s response was swift and they drew level not long afterwards as a long ball upfield to Horton was chased down in behind the defence before the striker put it away one-on-one.

With the momentum in their favour Vale then capitalised to add another midway through the half. Derek Patterson ventured down the right and he crossed for Horton to tap in three yards out.

Mayfield responded and after deservedly getting back on level terms through Callum Dalgleish’s finish in the box, they could well have been ahead just before the break but Mark Moncrieff’s penalty was saved by Martin Power as he leapt to turn the ball away.

It was the turning point because after the break Vale secured victory. Grant Smith crossed for Horton’s hat-trick goal and he then got on the scoresheet himself to make it 4-2 with quick feet in the box.