Amateur football: Tranent start where they left off

Tranent Athletic were far too strong for Partizan
Tranent Athletic were far too strong for Partizan
Have your say

Defending Sunday Morning League champions Tranent Athletic picked up where they left off last season with an emphatic 6-1 win over Partizan AFC at Gyle Park.

Morning League champions Tranent Athletic picked up where they left off last season with an emphatic 6-1 win over Partizan AFC at Gyle Park.

After a scrappy opening 20 minutes with neither side really threatening, Tranent opened the scoring when George Armstrong latched onto Darren Cleland’s square pass in the box to turn the ball home.

Athletic looked comfortable and minutes later they doubled their advantage when Steven Love was the first to react to John Brash’s initial shot for 2-0.

With a cushion to fall back on, Tranent began to play with freedom and it soon led to a third after the interval. After good build-up, Love was put through one-on-one with the keeper and, as he was taken out, Armstrong followed up to put the ball in the empty net.

It was too easy for the East Lothian side and shortly after Love made Partizan pay when he audaciously lobbed keeper Mark Peacock from 25 yards.

Brash then got in on the act for a deserved goal of his own before Armstrong completed his hat-trick as Tranent set out their stall for another successful season.

Daniel Shevlin grabbed a consolation for Partizan at the death, but it was too little too late in what had been a very one-sided affair.

• Following promotion last season, Victoria Loco could have been expected to begin life in the Championship with a little bit of trepidation, but they made an instant impact by salvaging a 3-3 draw late on against Danderhall Miners at Saughton.

Danderhall took the lead on 15 minutes when Grant Aitchison played a pinpoint through-ball to Darren Anderson and he made no mistake in slotting home.

As the first half drew to a close, Loco found a deserved equaliser. Danny Waddell was in the right place at the right time to turn in a ball from out wide to get his side on level terms. Waddell then made the most of another chance after the break to stick his side in front, latching onto Robert Dunn’s incisive pass before drilling the ball home.

Danderhall pressed and turned the game on its head with two quick goals. After James Laing’s free-kick wrong-footed the Loco keeper to make it 2-2, Craig Lyall volleyed in at the back post to put the Hall on the verge of victory.

However, with virtually the last kick of the game, Loco bagged themselves a share of the spoils when Dunn stuck away a penalty.

• Newly-promoted South Gyle began their Premier Division journey with an emphatic 4-1 victory over Fernieside.

It was Fernieside who struck first when trialist Davy Forbes executed a perfect lob from the edge of the box on 35 minutes.

It was a different story in the second half when South Gyle upped their game. On the hour mark they restored parity when Ross Allan burst down the right before cutting inside and slotting in via the aid of a deflection.

One soon became two when Sean McCallister broke into the box before rounding the goalie and rolling the ball in from a tight angle.

South Gyle’s confidence began to ooze and they soon had another strike to their tally. Good work in the middle of the park between brothers Craig and Neil Ross resulted in the former drilling an effort in from 20 yards.

Fernieside didn’t give up, but with ten minutes to go the result was put beyond any doubt when Dean Clements extended South Gyle’s lead with a neat chip from 18 yards.