Amateur round-up: South Vics make final | Sandys’ lead trimmed

Edinburgh South Vics showed plenty of character and fighting spirit to force their way back into the tie
Edinburgh South Vics showed plenty of character and fighting spirit to force their way back into the tie
Have your say

Edinburgh South Vics booked a place in the final of the McDonald Cup after recovering from a two-goal deficit to defeat Edinburgh South Amateurs 4-3 at Inch Park.

After witnessing their season unbeaten run coming to an end against Tollcross Thistle in the East of Scotland Cup the previous weekend, Vics were keen to return to winning ways, but they were well below standard in the first half as their fellow Lothian East league opponents took a deserved interval lead.

It only took South Amateurs ten minutes to break the deadlock when Grant Aitchison sent a high looping cross to the back post and David Meenan knocked the ball in.

On 34 minutes, South doubled their lead when Meenan netted his second of the afternoon from close range, and the winger could have netted a sensational hat-trick soon after only to see his curling shot fly over.

In the second half Vics switched to three strikers 
up front and the formation change seemed to work as they started to impose themselves more on the game, although Douglas Winning clipped the underside of the bar for South Amateurs.

Graeme Lennie had to be alert in the South Amateurs goal to palm a Robert Bennett shot 
behind on 56 minutes, but Scott Waterston brought Vics back into the match on 74 minutes with a low drive.

The sides were level on 77 minutes when Ryan Moore shot into the far corner of the net after Waterston’s shot was blocked.

Vics soon found themselves in front when Paul Murray capitalised on Lennie spilling Bennett’s shot, before Aitchison spurned a glorious chance to equalise for South Amateurs when he shot over with the goal gaping.

But the remarkable comeback was completed on 88 minutes when Charles McAleavy made it four when he latched onto a Murray through ball to slide under Lennie.

Chris Jones gave South 
Amateurs hope in the dying minutes with a third goal for the hosts, but it will be Vics facing Pencaitland AFC in the 
final at Ainslie Park on March 31 
after their 7-4 win over 
Waverley AFC.

• IT IS still all to play for in the Lothian Premier Division, with Sandys’ lead at the top of the table cut to six points after they were held to a 1-1 draw at 
Linlithgow Thistle.

Tollcross Thistle leapfrogged Edinburgh Rose into second place after Rose lost 3-2 at 
East Linton, with Liam Frost and Jonny Robertson on target.

Thistle were 3-0 winners over Fernieside at Saughton with Rees Allan, Stefan Hay and Andy Hardie amongst the goals to set up a top-of-the-table clash with Sandys at Castleview this weekend.

In the Championship, 
Scottish Amateur Cup hopefuls Barca Milton 97 turned in a spirited performance against league leaders St Bernard’s at The Jewel, but it was Bernard’s who prevailed with a 4-3 triumph to remain seven points clear of 
Lochend and Clermiston Star.

In the Sunday section, West End United are confirmed Sunday Morning League One Champions after their latest 6-1 win over Roseburn Thistle means their 15 point lead can’t be overturned.

In the South of Scotland Cup Second Round, Danderhall Miners defeated Haddington Athletic 8-1 and Lochend 
defeated Doune Castle 4-3 in the East of Scotland Cup Fourth Round.