Amateur wrap: High five for Danderhall Miners

Danderhall Miners conquered Carluke at Lasswade High School with an emphatic 5-1 victory in the Scottish Cup. Pic: Chris Martin
Danderhall Miners conquered Carluke at Lasswade High School with an emphatic 5-1 victory in the Scottish Cup. Pic: Chris Martin
Have your say

Danderhall Miners booked their place in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup with a convincing 5-1 win over Carluke Hearts at Lasswade High School.

In difficult conditions, Hall went ahead 15 minutes in despite facing the strong winds. Grant McMillan rounded keeper Stuart Leishman and he fired the ball square to Darren Anderson to blast in from two yards.

Halls’ strong start continued and they picked up a deserved second on 30 minutes. Mark Brown dinked the ball over the top to Anderson and he took a touch and laced the ball home.

Carluke had barely had a sniff in the game, but as half time approached they found a goal from nowhere when Ryan Murdoch’s 35 yard freekick somehow crept in at the left hand post, but it was Hall who ended the half on the up. Anderson was again involved as he burst down the left before putting the ball on a silver platter for McMillan to drive home at the front post.

It had been a first-class performance from the Midlothian outfit in the opening 45 and the same continued into the second. Colin Lawson’s throw-in on the right was chased down by McMillan and he broke into the box and smashed home another before Grant Aitchison stabbed in a fifth late on to wrap things up.

• Sandys salvaged a replay in the Scottish Cup fourth round as they came from behind to draw 2-2 with South Gyle at Saughton.

In difficult conditions on the 3G park, it was Gyle who poked their noses in front early on. David Robertson’s deep corner from the right picked out Dean Anderson and he headed just inside the left hand post.

By the 20-minute mark Gyle had established a two-goal cushion with the wind helping quell the Sandys’ attack. Gary Morrison’s pass from deep found Johnnie Niven in behind and he raced round Graeme Lennie in goal before sliding the ball in from a tight angle.

Before the end of the half, however, Sandys had Lennie to thank when he saved Niven’s penalty. With that the tide began to turn and after the break Sandys upped their attacking efforts with the strong gusts in their favour.

Tam Crease gave his side a lifeline to make it 1-2 midway through the half when he showed composure to round 
Peter Flannigan in the Gyle goal.

As the half progressed, Gyle tried to shut up shop and they almost succeeded. But, in the final minute of the game, Connor Spowart was fouled in the box, allowing Crease to slot home a cool penalty for 2-2.

• A Chris Campbell hat-trick helped Hermiston Vale into the Scottish Cup fourth round as they beat Doune Castle 7-1 at Saughton.

Despite the one-sided scoreline, it was Castle who took the lead in the cup tie when Rory Mackay seized upon a defensive lapse to fire home five minutes in.

The reaction from Vale was hasty and minutes later they were all square when Grant Smith’s cross from the right found Campbell at the backpost to turn the ball in.

Vale continued to show determination and by the end of the half they had a two-goal lead. Darren Wood stuck their noses in front before Connor Aitchison set up Campbell for 3-1.

Castle’s heads were down and after the break Vale took advantage with two more quick-fire goals. Campbell grabbed his hat-trick when he volleyed in Smith’s cross. Then Aitchison showed fine individual skills to skip past a few players just outside the box and fire in Vale’s fifth.

Things then went from bad to worse for Castle as Vale kept up the goal hunt. Jamie Laing’s 25-yard free-kick picked out the very top left corner of the goal to extend the winning margin further before sub Matt Fryer rounded off the victory when he smashed in from just outside the box to make it 7-1.