Amateurs: Barca-Milton’s Scottish Cup run ended by Oban

Barca-Milton 97 can look back with fondness on a campaign in which they took several scalps
Barca-Milton 97 can look back with fondness on a campaign in which they took several scalps
Have your say

Barca-Milton 97’s Scottish Amateur Cup adventure came to an end as Oban Saints AFC progressed to the semi-finals following a deserved 2-0 win at a sun-bathed Jewel Playing Fields.

It was a gala day for Milton with the match watched by 150 spectators, as they looked to continue their impressive run in the competition during which the LEAFA Championship side have taken the scalps of Bervie Caledonian and Cambusnethan Talbot along the way.

But they were to find this quarter-final tie a tougher test, Oban creating a golden opportunity after just 20 seconds when Brian MacKay’s close-range shot was well saved by Neil McArthur in the Barca goal after Donald Campbell had played him in.

Milton’s first opportunity came on 26 minutes when Scott Smith’s high hanging free-kick clipped the top of the Oban bar although the striker may have been attempting to deliver an in-swinging cross.

Oban always looked more likely to score, MacKay going close again with a head flick that was tipped over by McArthur, who made a string of important saves throughout the match.

David Middlemass had a shot well held by Thomas McCulloch in the Oban goal, but it was no surprise when the visitors finally broke the deadlock on 55 minutes through Campbell after Paul Carmichael’s defence-splitting pass.

Smith had a header that McCulloch had to watch as Barca tried in vain to find a route back into the game, and Dean 
Cassells made an important block to deny Lee Cairns a goalscoring chance for Barca.

But Oban’s use of the ball in the final third was superior and, after Craig McEwan went close with two efforts, he was finally rewarded for his efforts in the closing minutes when an angled drive into the bottom corner leaving McArthur with no chance.

That put the tie beyond Barca-Milton but the Capital side can look back upon a cup run with great fondness as they aim to finish their league campaign strongly with at least five games in hand over their nearest challengers.

•Danderhall Miners into last four

Danderhall Miners reached the semi-finals of the South of Scotland Cup after their 6-0 triumph over Greenlaw Amateurs.

The tie had previously been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, but Danderhall made no mistake this time around against the Border Amateur League A side with a commanding performance.

Tam Crease netted a hat-trick for the Miners, with Mark Moncrieff increasing the advantage with a double after the break. Mark Brown rounded off the scoring to ensure a last-four tie with Tweeddale Rovers.

•Porty face Uni in final

Portobello Thistle and Edinburgh University Amateurs will contest the final of the Miller Cup after Thistle triumphed 2-1 over Blackridge Vale of Craig with Kevin McNulty and Marc Dunn on target, and the students winning on penalties against Salters Athletic.

Tollcross Thistle defeated Premier League title rivals Sandys 2-0 in the first round of The Blaikie Cup with goals from Nicky Coull and Stewart O’Neill. Their East of Scotland Cup Final opponents Salvesen beat Balerno Athletic 3-0 in the Victory Cup quarter-final.

The biggest win of the weekend came for North Edinburgh Wanderers in the Edinburgh East League with a 9-2 win over Haddington Athletic. Danny Airlie scored a hat-trick for Wanderers alongside Ross Young (double), Dale Robertson, Ben McKenzie and Joe McNeil.