Amateurs: Butler serves up treble for Salvesen FC

Salvesen FC claimed a place in round two of the East of Scotland Cup with victory over Edinburgh Wanderers
Salvesen FC claimed a place in round two of the East of Scotland Cup with victory over Edinburgh Wanderers
Have your say

JAIMIE BUTLER’S hat-trick inspired Salvesen FC to a resounding 6-2 win over North Edinburgh Wanderers in the first round of the East of Scotland Cup at Gyle Park.

Salvesen should have been ahead in the opening ten minutes. Lee Riley burst down the right-hand side and squared the ball to Butler but Scott McBride made a last-ditch block and Wanderers managed to clear the danger.

Wanderers were pegged back in their own half and Butler again had a chance to get his side off the mark as he beat the offside trap, only to see Wanderers goalkeeper Ross Proudfoot save well with his legs.

On the half-hour mark, Salvesen finally made things count in front of goal. Ryan Harding got past his marker down the right before delivering the ball on a plate for Butler to head in at the back post.

Salvesen more than made up for their missed opportunities after half-time. After a subdued start to the second period, the visitors doubled their lead with 60 minutes on the clock. Riley bust a gut to get to the ball down the right-hand flank before outpacing sub Gary Head and stroking the ball into the far corner.

Wanderers, to their credit, dug out an instant response – only to be denied by the officials. Head set up Dale Robertson in the area and he turned the ball in but the referee quickly ruled the nO.10 was in an offside position when the ball was played.

Butler notched his second minutes later with a neat finish in the area to make it 3-0 before Wanderers eventually got off the mark. With Salvesen bodies forward, they broke on the counter and James Campbell sent a neat finish past Paul Cadger to give his side something to cheer.

The joy was to be short-lived for Wanderers, though, as Salvesen restored their three-goal cushion minutes later. David Ross flicked the ball onto Butler and he stretched to meet the ball six yards out for his third of the afternoon.

Wanderers again found the net for a glimmer of hope with 15 minutes left. Head had been lively since coming on and he teed up Robertson to fire in from the edge of the box.

With ten minutes to go, Salvesen still looked good value for their lead but Wanderers had begun to make a nuisance of themselves, still requiring two goals to take the game to extra time.

With time running out, Salvesen further extended their lead with two quickfire goals to make sure of the result. Butler again was in the thick of it as Ross followed up his blocked shot to make it 5-2 before Calum Jackson rifled in from close range for No.6.

North Edinburgh Wanderers: Daniel Airlie, James Campbell, Sam Campbell, Robert Clyne, Aidan Connolly, Tobias Daly, Gary Head, Scott McBride, Ross Proudfoot, David Napair, Dale Robertson, Daniel Taylor, Daniel Williamson, Kamil Studzienny, Jordan Hill, Rene Blain.

Salvesen FC: Paul Cadger, Terry Smith, Steven Enwood, Stuart Johnston, Matthew Duncan, Ryan Harding, Lee Riley, Calum Jackson, Jaimie Butler, David Ross, Jak Townsley.