Amateurs: Craigroyston defeat Redpath to top group

Craigroyston CYFC
Craigroyston CYFC
Have your say

Craigroyston CYFC edged out Redpath Albion 3-2 at Craigie Park to finish Group A winners in the Stead & Simpson Cup.

With the wind blowing a gale across the ground, the game began in a stop-start fashion, with neither side able to create an opening. But with just over 20 minutes played, the hosts took the lead with their first effort on goal when Alex Macleod followed up Douglas Macgregor’s shot to make it 1-0.

After Ryan Robertson doubled Craigroyston’s advantage, the home side found the net again ten minutes before the break. Robert Hood turned in Garry Dunn’s freekick at the near post to make it 3-0 with half-time approaching.

Despite the scoreline, the visitors stuck the task ahead and managed to pull two goals back in three minutes to give them hope for the second 45. Daniel McQuade put the ball away in the box to reduce the deficit before Scott Smith fired in from close range to make it 2-3.

After the restart both sides had opportunities to influence the scoreline once more, but it wasn’t to be as Craigroyston held on to make it three wins out of three in the group.

Both sides now go through to the semi-finals where the hosts will face Heriot-Watt and Redpath face a trip to Edinburgh Harps.

• Tranent Amateurs failed in their bid to reach the Logan Cup quarter-finals as they lost 6-0 at home to Shotts Victoria at Polson Park.

The Lothian West League side took the game to their hosts, racking up three goals before the break to put themselves in a commanding position. David Paris opened the scoring 22 minutes in when he turned in Frazer Kirkland’s ball in from the left to make it 1-0.

Then, ten minutes later, the visitors grabbed another when Gary Barr went on a solo run from midfield before rifling in from close range. Ritchie Barr then made it three with a well-hit volley after controlling Nicky Hardie’s cross-field pass.

Forty-five seconds after the break, Shotts struck again when Gary Barr set up Hardie to side-foot the ball in first time.

Despite the scoreline, the league leaders continued to push forward and they grabbed two more before the end to further extend the winning margin. After Kirkland got his name on the scoresheet, he set up Jonny Lynch, who struck to make it 6-0 to the visitors. They now go on to face Fernieside at home in the next round.

• Dunedin Athletic defeated Dalry Athletic 3-1 at the Royal High School to reach the final of the Robertson Cup.

After a scrappy opening period, Dunedin took the lead 15 minutes into the encounter when Lyall Menzies picked the ball up 30 yards out before curling a long range effort into the top corner, bringing the cup tie to life.

The visitors gradually got to grips with the game and they found an equaliser as the clock ticked towards half time. Dean Clark latched onto a long ball forward from the back before taking it down, rounding the Dunedin goalie and slipping the ball into the empty net.

After the interval and with their momentum in their favour, Dalry pressed forward in search of a goal, but the hosts held firm. Building from the back, Dunedin then went and took the lead for the second time when Paul Munro tapped in Colin Chalmers’ corner at the front post.

As Dalry looked to bring the scores level for a second time, Chalmers struck with ten minutes to go as he cut in from the left before firing the ball into the far corner.