Amateurs: Edinburgh Harps silenced by Community spirit

Edinburgh Harps
Edinburgh Harps
Have your say

Edinburgh Harps’ Scottish Amateur Cup journey was cut short as they were defeated 5-0 by Polmont Community in the third round.

It was a tight start to the game at Meggetland and Harps should have gone ahead.

Brian Ardley spun in behind the Polmont defence but fired over from close range.

Polmont took the lead after persistent pressure. Blair Lockhart intercepted the ball in the Harps penalty box to pick out the bottom-right corner.

Harps did their best to force an equaliser before half-time but they struggled to break down a Polmont side that defended resolutely.

Into the second half, there was still a lot to play for and Harps tried to up their game to get on level terms. They had another good attempt as Eduardo Martinez hit a snap-shot from range that flew just over the Polmont crossbar.

Polmont continued to knock on the door. Eventually, the pressure paid dividends as Gourlay held up the ball in the box to tee up sub Callan Kerr to fire in. Then, a minute later, Polmont added another to wrap up the win as Robert Duncan scored from five yards.

There was still time for more from Polmont as Gourlay added two more goals from inside the area.

• Dunedin Athletic are five alive

Dunedin Athletic pulled three points clear at the top of the Edinburgh East division in a hotly-contested 5-2 win over Edina Hibs at Royal High School.

Dunedin settled quickly into the game to go 2-0 up with 15 minutes gone.

James Spence got his side off to the perfect start as he sent a chip from a tight angle into the top-right corner from 20 yards. Then, shortly after opening the scoring, Spence grabbed another as he picked up a through pass from Ross Downie to double the advantage.

Edina took time to get going but eventually they came to life and managed to get level before the break. Kyle Bell headed in from a corner and then, on the 35th-minute mark, Alex Milne ran through on goal to make it 2-2.

It was all to play for in the second half but it was the league leaders who took control of the game. Downie struck a free-kick that evaded everyone in the Edina penalty area to end up in the goal to make it 3-2.

Edina tried their best to force a response again but Dunedin sealed victory with two more goals midway through the half. Spence completed his hat-trick as he whipped the ball into the top-right corner and Stephen Christie added a fifth with a tidy half-volley to make it 5-2.

• Tollcross Thistle extinguish Beacon

Tollcross Thistle ran riot in the third round of the Scottish Amateur Cup with a 5-1 hammering of Beacon Rangers at Saughton 3G.

Tollcross quickly got into the swing of things to break the deadlock, Nick Coull rounding off a well-worked move by tapping in from close range.

The confidence began to flow and the Edinburgh side notched two more before half-time to put themselves in a very strong position. Chris Cairns’ cross ricocheted into the Rangers goal for 2-0 and, on the half-hour mark, Tollcross had another as Stefan Hay set up Scott Millar to burst through the opposition defence and bury the ball in the net.

It was a similar story in the second half as the hosts worked hard to extend their lead. Cairns added his side’s fourth with an effort from distance and Millar picked out the Rangers goal with a drilled strike following Sean Cavanagh’s backheel assist.

The contest was over but Rangers did at least have a goal to cheer with 15 minutes remaining, Jonny Hayes hitting home a thunderous 35-yard strike.