Amateurs: Edinburgh South Vics storm into third round

Edinburgh South Vics had to work harder than the 5-1 scoreline suggests against Waverley Athletic at Saughton
Edinburgh South Vics had to work harder than the 5-1 scoreline suggests against Waverley Athletic at Saughton
Have your say

Edinburgh South Vics booked their place in the third round of the Scottish Cup with a hard-fought 5-1 win over fellow Edinburgh East side Waverley Athletic at Saughton 3G.

The game was by no means as straightforward as the scoreline suggests. After a competitive first half with Vics looking the more dangerous of the two sides, the teams went in at the break with neither side off the mark.

When the second half got underway Vics found two goals in five minutes to put themselves in a commanding position. First, on the counter, Robert Bennett got down the right before squaring the ball to Lee Cairns to fire in six yards out. Then, Bennett robbed the ball from Athletic defender Dale Duncan to run through and slot in one on one with keeper Shaun Thomson.

Athletic rallied and Paul Walkingshaw got them back in the cup tie with an instinctive finish from close range soon after.

It looked like they could get on level terms with time ticking towards full time but a burst of goals in the final five minutes from Stuart Cotton and a brace from James Hunter got Vics over the line and into the next round of the competition.

Seven up for St Bernards

St BERNARDS cruised through to the third round of the Scottish Cup with a comfortable 7-0 win over Rosebank Rangers.

After a fairly even opening 25 minutes Saints upped the anti against their Dunfermline opponents and found the net twice before the break to give themselves the upper hand. First, Steven Clee put the ball on a plate for Captain Ryan Pollock to drill in. Then, Lee Walker sent a pinpoint cross for Darren Nicol to volley in at the far post.

When things got underway in the second half, Saints got into their groove and found five more with Rangers unable to cope. Nicol bagged his second with a calm finish one on one, before Walker got his name on the scoresheet with a bullet header into the roof of the net.

It was only a matter of time before more goals followed and sub Ryan Raeburn got in on the act to fire in from the edge of the box with his first touch in the game.

With Rangers heads down, the Edinburgh side went in for the kill and added two more before the end. Willy Mitchell scored and then played the ball into the path of John Paul McLennan to smash in for number seven.

Fountainbridge spring to the top

Fountainbridge FC climbed to the top of the Sunday Morning League with a 2-1 win over Gotham City at the Jack Kane Centre.

With their league rivals in Scottish Cup action, Bridge seized their opportunity to make ground, but had to battle hard for the three points in the affair.

In the opening 45, both teams had clear goalscoring opportunities but just couldn’t put the ball in the net with keepers Andy Kelloe and Otas Nitka in fine form.

Into the second half the game opened up and eventually the deadlock was broken when Douglas Ashall headed in Ryan McGovern’s cross from close range to put Bridge deservedly ahead.

The hosts continued to pile on the pressure and it wasn’t long before a second goal followed. After McGovern rattled the crossbar, his brother Derek played a well-weighted pass to the winger and he sent the ball in from ten yards to put daylight between the two teams.

Late on City pressed for a way back into the game and found a goal when Kevin Fitz found the net from close range with a neat finish, but it was too little too late as Bridge saw the game out to secure the points.