Amateurs: Gordon Ramsay serves up treat for South Vics

Edinburgh South Vics made it to the fourth round of the Logan Cup after coming from behind to beat South Gyle
Edinburgh South Vics made it to the fourth round of the Logan Cup after coming from behind to beat South Gyle
Have your say

A SECOND-HALF brace from Gordon Ramsay helped Edinburgh South Vics secure a spot in the Logan Cup fourth round as they saw off South Gyle at Saughton.

In freezing temperatures and with snow sweeping across the 3G surface, Gyle got the cup tie underway. The weather wasn’t going to dampen the spirits of either side and both Gyle and Vics battled for possession in the early stages.

Just as the game began to settle, Gyle created the first chance and they made sure to take it. Greg Stow intercepted at the heart of the Vics defence and played a square pass for Neil Ross to send a composed finish into the goal.

With their tails up, Gyle then had a great chance to go two ahead with 12 minutes on the clock. Ross this time turned creator for Stow with good work from just outside the box but Stow volleyed an effort over the goal with time and space to shoot.

Gyle had been shading possession but the goal spurred Vics on and they started to get more into the game as it progressed. With 20 minutes on the clock, they started to look lively in the final third and should have drawn level. Ian Crease saw his shot blocked by Gyle’s Andrew Easton before Scott Waterston sent the loose ball flying over the bar.

Gyle had faded in the game with Vics showing brute force and determination to get back into the tie. It was no wonder then that Vics eventually got the goal they were looking for with half an hour gone. An early cross from Keith Cairns on the right found Robert Bennett at the back post and he glanced a header beyond goalkeeper Peter Flannigan to make it 1-1.

With the momentum in their favour, Vics continued to press high up the pitch and restrict Gyle. It was only a matter of time before they went ahead. Bennett whipped a corner in from the right and Crease flicked the ball in to give his side a deserved lead. Vics had turned things around but only had a slim lead as the second half got underway. Gyle dug deep to make inroads into the Vics half and Scott Riddell had an ambitious go from distance but his effort swerved wide of the right-hand post.

It became an end-to-end game. Bennett thought he had got his side a two-goal cushion when he cut in and got a shot away from the left-hand side, only for the effort cleared off the line by Craig Ross.

With 20 minutes remaining, Ramsay was introduced and he helped get his side a two-goal cushion not long after coming on. A ball over the top found the substitute in space and he hit a first-time shot from a tight angle into the goal for 3-1. As the half started to draw to a close, Gyle desperately tried to create something but Vics were winning every 50/50 and chasing every ball. The home side then extended their lead with 15 minutes to go and deservedly so. Jai White sent a looping pass down the left which Ramsay took down and blasted in from close range to make it 4-1.

Into the closing stages of the game, and with the snow progressively getting worse, Vics saw the game out.

Edinburgh South Vics: Alan Baillie, Robert Bennett, Keith Cairns, Stewart Cotton, Ian Crease, Peter Gilhooley, James Hunter, Thomas Lowrie, Graham O’Brien, Ryan Smithwaite, Scott Waterston, Lee Watson, Jai White, Gordon Ramsay.

South Gyle: Ross Alexander, Ross Allan, Dean Anderson, Peter Burt, Andrew Easton, Peter Flannigan, Gordon McCreadie, Gary Morrison, Scott Riddell, David Robertson, Craig Ross, Neil Ross, Greg Stow.